• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

backtrack from Macas (1 Viewer)

gdhunter

A trip early 2019 heretofore planned for Macas requires a reroute. The family with the currently aborted Macas B&B has offered helpful tips, but I'm broadening the scope a bit. Have been to Ecuador only once (Nov 2015) focusing primarily on the eastern lowlands near Misahualli, the foothill region of Wildsumaco, subtropical Cabanas San Isidro, and various day trips with within easy reach of Mindo.

Wildsumaco was the true highlight. The NW was probably shortchanged. The Andes south of Quito beckon, but bird-finding info seems scarce. I would welcome any perspective offered regarding a trip duration of 10-12 days, including two nights in & two nights out, preferably at Puembo Birding Gardens.

I could do worse than Wilsumaco & San Isidro again. I could do worse than Mindo, but would want to be better situated for access to quality habitat than Yellow House.

Thanks.

Gary H

This thread gave some good info for SW even though the trip regrettably ended up being aborted: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=341058

Near Mindo there were several good lodges, Sachatamia and Bellavista were those we stayed at for a couple of days each, highly recommended. In Mindo itself we stayed at Yellow House, and the lady there arranged for us a guide that took us to Milpe and Rio Silanche, a really good day out to significantly lower areas. Many threads here about the Mindo area for more info.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back