• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Backyard Feeding and Nesting - ? from a newbie (1 Viewer)

sherrilhopper

Hi everyone. I am new to birding and am working on building a bird/bee/butterfly haven in my yard. I actually have two questions.

1. If I have several types of feeders in my yard, will that cause birds to nest somewhere else due to all the bird "traffic"? This is something I have been wondering about. My daughter has hummingbird nests each year in her yard, but no feeders or other attempts to attract birds.

2. I'd like to attract birds other than finches to my yard. Currently I have one feeder with small seeds that they seem to like. I am ready to set up other feeding and water stations. I wonder about suet. That is new to me and I wonder if some of you have recommendations on brands. I've read reviews and am getting mixed messages.

Thanks and any tips you want to pass on as I get started would be so greatly appreciated!

Sherril

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Supporter
United States
Hi there Sherril and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Do you have a lot of trees? I do and I have several feeders hung from the bottom limbs of the trees and if the trees are tall enough the birds can build a nest towards the top of the trees and not be put off at the birds at the feeders.

I would certainly offer more variety of seeds such as Sunflower seeds, sunflower hearts, saffron which will attract many different birds. Not bragging but I have a yard species count of 136 different species so good luck girl ;)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Sherril and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Lisa W

Staff member
Supporter
Hi Sherril and welcome to the forum. As KC said a variety will of different feed will help get different birds. And yes, suet will bring in some that the small seed will not. If you small seed is niger, that is definitely a finch feed.

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

We have six feeders in our front garden, all closely situated to the blue tit nest box and the "bird traffic" doesn't put the blue tits off using the box every year. There are three feeders plus a bird table in the back garden and the birds are happily nesting in the wisteria which is about six feet from the feeding station, and in three shrubs which are about three feet from the station, as well as in many other trees and shrubs around the garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread