• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bagni di Lucca Italy unknown 'warbler' (1 Viewer)

anthonyvear

Bagni di Lucca Italy. In wooded mountains around 2000 ft.
10-20thJuly
Pair of small warbler like birds feeding on ripe figs alongside blackcaps.
Elusive and skulking. Hence no photos. Duller bird, olive green above paler below. Grey-olive head, no other markings except faint pale eye ring. Bright orangey-red bill, slender like warblers, faint orangey bib, two darker red longitudinal bars on ,closed wing ( primaries? )
Male, similar plumage and bill but with canary yellow chin above bold orangey red bib. Alarm call like wren delivered from within cover. also has bright yellow green rump in flight.Locals say flocks of these appear in late autumn to feed on ripe persimmon fruit. Migrants or residents ? Have not seen this bird in 50 years of observation any ideas anyone ?

Hi Anthony and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum, where they're better placed to be able to help you (I've no idea LOL). I also subscribed you to the thread so that you will be advised of any replies and can easily find it.

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi Alexander
Thank you for your quick response and Pyrtle too !
I've googled Leiothrix Lutea and it certainly resembles the birds I saw but leaves the question what are they doing in Tuscany ? More research needed.

No need of researches! Leiothrix is considered naturalized in Italy and included in our national checklist since many years, mostly in Toscana, Veneto and Liguria but currently spreading...

This observation does not surprise me much: where is present, this species is actually pretty bold and easy to be seen and, especially, heard, often in little flocks!

Ciao, Igor

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back