• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bahrain Sand Plover - !! (1 Viewer)

Howard King

On our w/e of the 26th June was during my usual creep around the shores of Maharraq and came across several Lesser Sand Plover, with what appeared to be a collar.

I managed then to get some poor quality images of one then - today I repeated the journey in a hope to see these birds again and get some better images alas as is often the case I couldn't find any.

Question is - is this just plumage that has bleached out or is this something else

Attachments

• lsp1.jpg
    lsp1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 113
Hi Howard,

I'm more surprise by the very long legs than the pale nape; the bill shape matches normal Lesser Sand Plover... I don't know any similar species except Greater Sand Plover that have longer bill and doesn't have more pale napes
:)

Interesting photo.

Cheers

Valéry

I have seen collars of a fawn (gingerish) nature before but never one as distinctly pale as this before.

Legs didn't think them particularly long especially when viewed against the Kentish that were around - this is the same bird in the center

Attachments

• plovers.jpg
    plovers.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 87
On our w/e of the 26th June was during my usual creep around the shores of Maharraq and came across several Lesser Sand Plover, with what appeared to be a collar.

I managed then to get some poor quality images of one then - today I repeated the journey in a hope to see these birds again and get some better images alas as is often the case I couldn't find any.

Question is - is this just plumage that has bleached out or is this something else

Hi Howard

Glad you picked up on this. We see quite a number of both Greater and Lesser Sand Plovers with whitish collars. I suspect it may be the result of pale feather bases becoming exposed due to wear and/or bleaching.

See this pic, which shows both Greater and Lesser with pale collars, and this one of a Greater with a white collar.

Not well documented but not that unusual in my experience.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the information Dave have yet to see it so well marked on Greater though - incidentally do you have any literature on separating out the various forms ssp of both Greater and Lesser -

Indeed... it's the angle of the photo that give me this impression, probably (Kentish P. appear also long legs to me on your photo).

All the photos I used to illustrate a paper (in French) on Lesser/Greater Sand Plover show shorter legs, probably because they are taken from high (I'm tall and use my telescope for digiscoping).
http://www.ornithomedia.com/pratique/identif/ident_art62_1.htm

Sorry for my useless comment

Cheers

Valéry far from being useless I find your input just the opposite very helpful --

many of the shots taken on the shore I am sat in my car, a saloon with the camera resting on the door window frame - the whole of this area is reclaimed and in parts has a nice gentle slope down which enhances the low angle aspect of the pictures besides that no one would ever call me tall

From today a Greater Sand Plover with a Kentish

Attachments

• greaterkentish.jpg
    greaterkentish.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for your photos and interesting comment. I learn a lot on BF and, notably thanks to you, about Middle-Eastern birds. I love birding this part of the World. Oman in 2006 was one of the most enjoyable trip of my life. I'll be back there or neighbouring countries.

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back