• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baikal teal (1 Viewer)

Yes, surprisingly little interest in it on here.

I had not realised it had moved from the Ouse Washes to March Farmers until somebody mentioned seeing it there on Twitter just now. The move makes it a bit more attractive as it is about half an hour closer now. Still only moderately interested, but if it keeps moving west and gets into Leics/Rutland that would be different.

Steve

This bird forum is so dead. Not even a mention of the MEGA Baikal teal at March Farmers yesterday evening.

It has been discussed on the Rare Birds forum.

Most Cambridgeshire birders use the local Googlegroups for discussions, and there is a Yahoogroup for the Peterborough area too. Hence there is little traffic on this sub-forum.

Furthermore, both have active WhatsApp groups for news.

As to this bird, it is following a similar pattern to the previous county record in 2014. Which moved from Fen Drayton to the Ouse Washes and then moved down the Washes too (heading slowly north). Its likely to be the same bird, which was accepted by BBRC as the 6th British record.

I am planning on trying to see this bird on Thursday - any advice on access or where to view from would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I am planning on trying to see this bird on Thursday - any advice on access or where to view from would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Hi Stuart

I went yesterday as a side-trip from Rutland Water. I'm guessing you will come down the A1 - keep on it to the A605 'cos there are roadworks on the A47 east of Peterborough. We got caught in them for what seemed ages.

Directions just like Mark says. Apparently the carpark was chocker just before we got there but there was room for three more cars when we arrived.

Lots of other birds on the washes still - we had 6 Cranes, Hobby, Black-tailed Godwit (breeding limosa), lingering Wigeon etc and of course there are Corncrakes there but not sure how countable they are. Spotted Crakes too but you never see them, and I have never even heard one.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for that Steve, unfortunately the bird hasn't been seen today which is a shame as it sounds like a great spot with nice back up. I am in Norfolk/Suffolk for a couple of days so will pop in if there is any positive news. Loads of birds (Black Terns and waders) pouring through Yorkshire today so hopefully should be some good birds in East Anglia.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back