• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Balance rail alternative for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

RogP

Roger Payne
I've just started using an STM65 for digiscoping with the DBC adapter and a Nikon Coolpix P5100. It all fits together nicely but, as expected, the setup is back-heavy when I swing the camera down, and so I lose sight of the target bird every time.

The solution you'll say is to use the Swarovski balance rail that came with the DCB. However, it doesn't fit onto any of my tripods (I'm using a Wimberley for a large telephoto lens, and the Cullmann release system for the scope and for smaller lenses) and I really don't want to change to a Swarovski tripod head (yet more expense + have had rather poor reports on its stability and durability).

So I'm hoping that someone can suggest an alternative e.g. a rail with the camcorder style of twin pins to fit the scope at one end, and a socket to take either a Cullmann or an Arca-Swiss plate at the other, or some way of fitting the Swaro plate to something more main stream, or...

Any ideas...?

Many thanks, Roger

I've just started using an STM65 for digiscoping with the DBC adapter and a Nikon Coolpix P5100. It all fits together nicely but, as expected, the setup is back-heavy when I swing the camera down, and so I lose sight of the target bird every time.

The solution you'll say is to use the Swarovski balance rail that came with the DCB. However, it doesn't fit onto any of my tripods (I'm using a Wimberley for a large telephoto lens, and the Cullmann release system for the scope and for smaller lenses) and I really don't want to change to a Swarovski tripod head (yet more expense + have had rather poor reports on its stability and durability).

So I'm hoping that someone can suggest an alternative e.g. a rail with the camcorder style of twin pins to fit the scope at one end, and a socket to take either a Cullmann or an Arca-Swiss plate at the other, or some way of fitting the Swaro plate to something more main stream, or...

Any ideas...?

Many thanks, Roger

Hi Roger, I was just playing quickly to see if I could come up with a simple solution, and it might just work...
using a 4mm hex/Allen key, you can unscrew the foot of your balance rail. trying it out with another tripod head plate lying around the office, I was able to remove the plate's tripod screw, wedge the new foot/plate in to the space where the old foot was, and use the original foot's screw to attach the new plate. If you are lucky, your Cullmann plate will fit in to that space.

From what I can tell from mr. google, the cullman cu-81 should fit, leaving only about 1mm of space either side of the foot. you could fill this with a thin rubber for extra stability.

It is not a perfect solution, but if it works, it might be a very simple and cheap solution :t:

If it doesn't work, then the new telescope rail might be an option (quick release slide; braced in 2 positions...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJuetIwY7r4

Good luck,
Dale

Hi Dale,
Belated thanks for the suggestion. In the end I did something similar - taking the mounting screws from the Swarovski plate and putting them onto an old Cullmann flash bracket that I had in a drawer. Then asked SRB-Griturn to drill an extra tripod screw thread at the other end of the bracket, and I'm all set. Can't recommend SRB enough to all you Swaro digiscopers - I'm also using their excellent cable release bracket for my Nikon Coolpix P5100.
All the best, Roger

Hi Dale,
Belated thanks for the suggestion. In the end I did something similar - taking the mounting screws from the Swarovski plate and putting them onto an old Cullmann flash bracket that I had in a drawer. Then asked SRB-Griturn to drill an extra tripod screw thread at the other end of the bracket, and I'm all set. Can't recommend SRB enough to all you Swaro digiscopers - I'm also using their excellent cable release bracket for my Nikon Coolpix P5100.
All the best, Roger

great news :t: happy digiscoping!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back