• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bald Robin (1 Viewer)

We have noticed a robin visiting our garden who has no feathers at all around his head. His head is white, around his eyes too. I am presuming it is a disease? Has anyone seen anything similar and what disease would it be? He doesn't act/look poorly. Poor robin though - he looks awful!

Excessive feather loss, particularly on the head, is usually caused by a heavy infestation of feather Mites. Most of the time it doesn't affect the bird too much and, usually clears itself up by the next moult.

I have a female blackbird in much the same state.

I noticed the feathers disappearing around the base of her beak a few months ago. This has now spread to most of the top of her head but doesn't seem to have got any worse during the last couple of weeks. At least it helps me identify her from the other females.

I noticed exactly the same thing yesterday with one of the Robins that comes to the feeder, thanks for the explanation Chris.

Robin turned up this morning looking very dazed and bedraggled with several feathers missing but, since it's happened overnight, I think he is the victim of a takeover bid.

Glad this thread is still here. A robin bathing in my birdbath has it. I've emptied and sterilized the bath. It's a relief to know it resolves itself. I was afraid it was mange or something more deadly.

Hi lilawheel, and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Yes, it's almost certainly feather mite; many birds suffer with this by the end of the nesting season. As said, the feathers will grow back when they next moult. They do look a bit sorry for themselves meantime, don't they.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Here is a magpie which lived around our flats last year!

Attachments

• 89F83EB6-403D-4303-A68C-4FD5041D67C6.jpeg
    89F83EB6-403D-4303-A68C-4FD5041D67C6.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back