• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

baltic states RFI - september/october 2015 (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

hello all,
i'll be visiting the baltic states (all 3) from september 20th to October 5th this year. It's not a birding or wildlife watching trip but if i can squeeze in a few lifers or seldom-seen species it would be nice!

I'm well aware that the timing of the visit may be either too late or too early for many of these species, and that many may be rare or otherwise very difficult (some of these are included because of the collins range maps and may in fact be massive rarities in the region), but any tips for any from this ridiculously over-ambitious shopping list would be much appreciated...

geese (tundra and taiga bean, lesser whitefront, red-breasted - rare/too early?)

steller's eider (too early?)

grouse spp. (any of the 4, not ideal time of year?)

lesser spotted eagle

rough-legged buzzard

corn/spotted/little crake (surely no chance of corncrake but..)

dotterel

great snipe (no chance in autumn?)

owls (any of the "foreign" ones, or long-eared, not ideal time of year?)

woodpeckers (esp. white-backed, not ideal time of year?)

shore lark

red-throated pipit

grey-headed wagtail

thrush nightingale (too late?)

blyth's reed warbler (rare/too late?)

greenish warbler (rare/too late?)

mealy redpoll (too early?)

parrot crossbill (rare/too early?)

rustic bunting (rare?)

i'd also be interested in any tips for mammals, including eastern hedgehog, beaver, garden & edible dormouse, muskrat, bear, wolf, racoon dog, polecat, pine marten, lynx, ringed seal, wild boar, bison, elk, tarpan, aurochs, cave lion etc.

all the common stuff basically!

:)

thanks in anticipation of lots of replies saying "no chance of any of that lot".

James

I don't know about Lithuania and Latvia but I expect the situation there to be similar to Estonia. If you want to do some guided birding you can let me know. So species by species:

geese (tundra and taiga bean, lesser whitefront, red-breasted - rare/too early?)
- Bean geese are common. No Lesser Whitefronts in autumn, they migrate south through Central Russia and Kazakhstan. Red-breasted is rare in Estonia but a couple are seen every autumn.

steller's eider (too early?)
- Too early

grouse spp. (any of the 4, not ideal time of year?)
Not ideal time but in the right habitat they can be seen at any time of year. All except Willow Grouse that has almost disappeared in Estonia.

lesser spotted eagle
- Last ones leave at the end of Sep but you might catch one still.

rough-legged buzzard
- First ones start arriving from end of Sep so you have a chance.

corn/spotted/little crake (surely no chance of corncrake but..)
- There can be a few still about but a lot of luck needed to spot one out of breeding/calling season.

- Very rare and also too late in the season.

great snipe (no chance in autumn?)
- here can be a few still about but a lot of luck needed to spot one out of breeding/calling season.

owls (any of the "foreign" ones, or long-eared, not ideal time of year?)
- Autumn is not as good as spring for hearing some but they do call all-year round.

woodpeckers (esp. white-backed, not ideal time of year?)
- Bit harder than in prime time in spring but all woodpeckers still doable.

shore lark
- Rare in Estonia. At best a few records a year.

red-throated pipit
- Not too common but you might catch one on migration.

grey-headed wagtail
- A few still around.

thrush nightingale (too late?)
- too late

blyth's reed warbler (rare/too late?)
- too late

greenish warbler (rare/too late?)
- too late

mealy redpoll (too early?)
- First ones start arriving from end of Sep.

parrot crossbill (rare/too early?)
- Quite uncommon in Estonia but there are some in the pine forests near coasts.

rustic bunting (rare?)
- Very rare.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back