• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bangladesh, Cox's Bazar (1 Viewer)

Zangazanga

Hello,
I photographed this small (warbler? prinia?) bird in the bushes of a hotel garden near to the beach. Can anyone help me identify this bird from this one decent photo?
thanks

Attachments

• P1002073.RW2(1).jpg
    P1002073.RW2(1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
P1002065.RW2.jpgP1002065.RW2.jpg
I took this photo 3 minutes before the other, but I am pretty sure it was the only bird moving in the tree, so I believe it is the same bird in both photos. What is mor clear in this photo is the orange lower mandible, and the leg also has a pinkish hue. Would this information say anything about whether Dusky Warbler is amy more or less probable? I am looking at Grimmett, Inskipp, Inskipp, Birds of The Indian Sub-continent as my guide book here, and I can not see anything about a bi-colored bill.

Soft part colours are often variable and that's before taking lighting conditions into account. Dusky Warbler leg colour can be brownish flesh, yellowish brown or olivaceous horn while the lower mandible is yellow or yellowish flesh at the base typically with darker tip of variable extent. This is before you factor in the lighting element. Field Guides are generally not the best references for such detailed information.

Why provide images of poorer quality to make a point about soft part colours, which are OK BTW, when the OP is readily identifiable as a Dusky Warbler?

For variation see here

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=duswar&sort=rating_rank_desc&mediaType=p&regionCode=

Grahame

Last edited:
Would this information say anything about whether Dusky Warbler is amy more or less probable?
Agree with Andy and Graham who have competently ID’d your bird as a Dusky Warbler with enough information provided in the first image to do so.

Great thanks again. I had posted the second picture just because I had found it in my file folder later, after I had already posted , and because I have no experience with this species or this group of birds so the colors of the parts was seeming very mysterious to me. All of your comments definately does help me to start to build a bit of an understanding of this.
Best regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back