• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barbary Dove (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hello,

I am aware that the taxonomy of the Barbary Dove is somewhat controversial.

This bird is sometimes referred to as Streptopelia roseogrisea var. 'risoria'.

My question relates to the name risoria: should it be written in italic and between quotes?

I would italicize any scientific names, even if treated as invalid.
The "var." indicates you use the name to denote a variant of infra-subspecific rank; the quotes indicate you do not treat the name as denoting a valid taxon; you can use both, but there is some redundancy in doing so.

Note however that, nomenclaturally, "Streptopelia roseogrisea var. 'risoria'" is in principle not an option, because Columba risoria Linnaeus 1758 has nearly a century of precedence over Columba roseogrisea Sundevall 1857, and because, in Opinion 2215 (2008: https://doi.org/10.21805/bzn.v65i4.a2), the International Commission of Zoological Nomenclature ruled that this precedence had to be respected. This means that calling a species "Streptopelia roseogrisea" actually amounts to a statement that risoria is not part of it. If it is part of it, the species must be called S. risoria.

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for your reply.

Now I am not sure what is the best way to refer to these domestic stock. I want to include the species in a book that I am preparing about non-native birds in Portugal and would like to know how it shall be treated so to speak.

I would italicize any scientific names, even if treated as invalid.
The "var." indicates you use the name to denote a variant of infra-subspecific rank; the quotes indicate you do not treat the name as denoting a valid taxon; you can use both, but there is some redundancy in doing so.

Note however that, nomenclaturally, "Streptopelia roseogrisea var. 'risoria'" is in principle not an option, because Columba risoria Linnaeus 1758 has nearly a century of precedence over Columba roseogrisea Sundevall 1857, and because, in Opinion 2215 (2008: https://doi.org/10.21805/bzn.v65i4.a2), the International Commission of Zoological Nomenclature ruled that this precedence had to be respected. This means that calling a species "Streptopelia roseogrisea" actually amounts to a statement that risoria is not part of it. If it is part of it, the species must be called S. risoria.
The tangled history of risoria versus roseogrisea is well unravelled by Hein van Grouw (2018) attached.
MJB

Attachments

• 2018 van Grouw Risoria.pdf
    14.7 MB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back