• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Barnacle Goose - Sweden - April 2019 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

I´m presently in Tiveden, Sweden looking at the Black Grouse Lek just leaving Lake Hornborga in Sweden.

Here is a bird I identified as a Barnacle Goose but now I think it is a Canada goose.Mostly because of the shape of the bill. Barnacle have a shorter bill. And of course, the white shape behind the eyes.

Anyway, is it a sick bird, something wrong with the pigment or is it a cross breed?On the attached picture we can see the white spot above the bill, and the neck is very white.

Something I never see before. A lot of Greylag goose pairs came in for landing behind the reeds. A saw yet another pair approaching while munching on my picnic lunch.

It looked strange, you know what I mean, looks like a normal pair but something was off and I discovered that it was one Canada Goose and one Greylag Goose flying together. And I never had time to get a picture.

I wondering if they could get babies together and after landing the other Graylag Goose pairs scared away this couple. I was puzzled

In Tiveden looking at the Black Grouse Lek and I discussed this with one other bird watcher. Lo and behold, he brought out his phone and he showed me a Canada and Greylag Goose pair.

He also showed me a picture of a cross breed, looking like my bird, but a soft orange coloured bill.

Any thoughts about my Barnacle Goose, or as I call it now, Canada Goose. A cross breed or a sick bird?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 19-April-2019----(11).jpg
    19-April-2019----(11).jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 31

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
It is mostly Canada Goose but a hybrid with some form of other goose, probably a domestic Greylag.

Steve

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
It is mostly Canada Goose but a hybrid with some form of other goose, probably a domestic Greylag.

Steve

Thank you

Some one suggested some sickness with the pigment ans someone suggested a crossbreed, my friend showed the picture of the Greylag and the Canada and it looked like this, except for the orange toned bill.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Aladdin,

do you have a picture where at least one leg is visible?

Your bird might be a pure Canada Goose, because:
-Canadas with abnormally white parts on head and neck are regular.
-The PROMINENT white eyering is much rarer in pure Canada (some have a narrow one), but I have seen similar birds like yours before.
- Billcolour and upperparts are very good for Canada, while many hybrids have different colour/pattern there.

BUT: I have seen similar "Canadas" before, with clearly orange legs revealing their hybrid origin.

So, what is it? If this is the only picture, I would say"most propably pure Canada" with the slight caveat of beeing a Canadalike hybrid that can only be detected by legcolour

Joern Lehmhus

Hello Aladdin,

do you have a picture where at least one leg is visible?

Your bird might be a pure Canada Goose, because:
-Canadas with abnormally white parts on head and neck are regular.
-The PROMINENT white eyering is much rarer in pure Canada (some have a narrow one), but I have seen similar birds like yours before.
- Billcolour and upperparts are very good for Canada, while many hybrids have different colour/pattern there.

BUT: I have seen similar "Canadas" before, with clearly orange legs revealing their hybrid origin.

So, what is it? If this is the only picture, I would say"most propably pure Canada" with the slight caveat of beeing a Canadalike hybrid that can only be detected by legcolour

The white cheek patch is exactly shaped like a canada gooses cheek patch. , This indicates a pure canada with some color abnormalities, not a hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread