• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Basic Editing Steps & Free Noise Reduction (1 Viewer)

Joe94

United Kingdom
Hey All,

Hoping for some advice. I currently use a handheld XLR Recorder which I use with either a parabolic or a rode shotgun mic; where I record bird song/wildlife sounds. This is purely for pleasure & personal hobby and in no way professional and up to now I have been recording in HD MP3, however although I’m still only doing for myself I understand if I record in WAV, I can produce even better recording….

So essentially I have three things I would like advice on. 1) which is a good free software to use for the processing & conversion of the WAV files? 2) what are the basic things I should do to the audio file before exporting as an MP3 file, so such recording types (bird song)? 3) Although I’m not pro & personally don’t feel my recorder produces unbearable noise, which is a good free software to remove/ lower some of this to make the actual bird song more prominent/cleaner?

Thanks all, just looking to progress a bit with the Hobby aha :)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
You can't really beat Audacity if you want free.

The main things you need to do are 1) clip off the extraneous bits before and after the bird 2) apply some EQ notches and high and low pass filters to clean up the background 3) normalise the final version.

Joe94

United Kingdom
You can't really beat Audacity if you want free.

The main things you need to do are 1) clip off the extraneous bits before and after the bird 2) apply some EQ notches and high and low pass filters to clean up the background 3) normalise the final version.
Hey Mono,

Thank you for this! I had read some positive things about Audacity, so it seems this wil definitely be worth me downloading.

As for processes to complete, really appreciate your suggestions. Gives me something to work with and learn when starting out with the WAV & software :)

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread