• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bats or birds? August around 7:30 pm old building in St. Louis, Missouri (1 Viewer)

midwestmidge

United States
Hi! I live in St. Louis MO and have seen a large swarm of flying creatures outside of my apartment. They come out about when the sun starts to go down and fly in circles around the building, and dive into the chimney. I live in the top floor apartment and we recently had a bat in our hallway, probably got in from the roof. My first thought was that this was a large group of bats, particularly by their size and way of flying. But could they possibly be chimney swifts? I am a bit concerned if that large number of bats is living just next door to me!

Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_4271.mov
    2.6 MB
  • IMG_4273.MOV
    12.1 MB
  • IMG_4274.MOV
    8.1 MB
  • IMG_4275.MOV
    17.3 MB
It sure sounds like Bat activity. I used to watch them every evening doing the exact same thing.
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

There's no reason to be 'concerned' about having bats living nearby. If anything, it would be a benefit to you and your neighbours by helping to control the numbers of pest insects in the area.

The concern with bats would be rabies. While the chances of any bat having rabies are extremely low, they're the leading vector for human rabies in the US (which means they're responsible for about one human case a year). The problem is that rabies can be transmitted through a tiny bite that goes unnoticed, while you sleep. By the time you notice any symptoms, it's too late for treatment.

If bats are getting in to your bedroom, have a firm talk with your landlord.

/Have personally slept in the open with bats around, many times, without vaccine. But recently had to pay for a very upset tenant who vaccinated their child on doctor's advice, after the child woke up to a bat in the room and also had a scratch on her face of uncertain origin. (I knew there were flying squirrels in the subroof, didn't realize there were bats too, or that they'd squeeze through the ceiling fixtures into the bedroom. One of those "that hole in the eaves is small, and it's so high up... I'll fix it later" situations.)

Chimeny Swifts roost at night in chimenys, and in the late summer they often have pre-migration roosts with great numbers (can be >1000 birds) . Just before dark, they emerge seemingly out of nowhere and enter by spiraling/tumbling downwards into the chimeny.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back