• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bay-breasted Warbler? central Maine, USA (1 Viewer)

River Girl

United States
I caught some brief looks at this bird which I first thought must be a Pine Warbler, but after checking the Warbler Guide I'm thinking it's possibly a Bay-breasted. That would be a first.

Thank you.

Attachments

• warbler_2332e.jpg
    warbler_2332e.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 67
  • warbler_2335e.jpg
    warbler_2335e.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 38
  • warbler_2336e.jpg
    warbler_2336e.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 52

River Girl

United States
additional photo for warbler

I just went back through the photos and found this one with better underside view.

Attachments

• warbler_2329e.jpg
    warbler_2329e.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 53

Peter C.

...just zis guy, you know?
Rivergirl:

I agree with the others on the diagnosis of Blackpoll here, but given how close the two species can be in fall, I think some explanation is required.

In the first post, you can see streaking on the breast in at least the first two images, and clean white undertail covs. (as opposed to buff) in all three, all of which is strong support for Blackpoll. And in post #2, the bird may be showing a bit of yellow on the underside of the toes (it may just be blur), which would be diagnositic for Blackpoll.

Users who are viewing this thread