• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bean Geese - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

I just saw these 2 geese today in a group of hundreds.. I'm I right to assume this must be a Fabalis on the right and Rossicus on the left?

Attachments

• ROS FAB.jpg
    ROS FAB.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 68
I have a shot here in flight, but it's not the same bird I guess.. There was a lot of geeses, coming and leaving all the time..

Attachments

• Another.png
    Another.png
    844 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hi!

Considering the high basis and the distribution of black at the beak plus the short neck I agree that the left one should be ssp. rossicus, while the right one is fabalis.

I have one more here, standing on the left side of the picture, with quite a lot of orange on the bill

Attachments

• BAN.jpg
    BAN.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 30
That last bird looks like a rossicus to me (a mostly orange bill is only a supporting feature for fabalis). Agree with (probable/likely) fabalis for the right-hand bird in your first picture (looks long-necked and rather slender- and long-billed), but difficult to be 100% sure from a single picture. The flying birds look like they could be fabalis Bean Geese too.

Lützen

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back