• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bearded tits in Norfolk (1 Viewer)

aushalk

Looking for some advice from regulars at Norfolk sites such as Minsmere/Titchwell/Strumpshaw fen (or others I am not aware of) please.
I have heard there is excellent bearded tit activity at these sites.

I live on the other side of the country but keen to make the trip to see and if possible to photograph them. Which site would you advice to go to? Any particular area of the site/s?

Also, as a general rule can they be seen all the way into winter or just during Oct/November when they are eating grit?
Many thanks in advance
Regards

Looking for some advice from regulars at Norfolk sites such as Minsmere/Titchwell/Strumpshaw fen (or others I am not aware of) please.

I live on the other side of the country but keen to make the trip to see and if possible to photograph them. Which site would you advice to go to? Any particular area of the site/s?

Also, as a general rule can they be seen all the way into winter or just during Oct/November when they are eating grit?
Many thanks in advance
Regards

I've just returned from Norfolk and had great views of bearded tits on the new trails at Titchwell. Of course I had left my camera gear in the car and they were very photographable! Can't comment on how long they will be showing, sorry. Just hope they are still about in 10 days when I am back again.

Phil

I've just returned from Norfolk and had great views of bearded tits on the new trails at Titchwell. Of course I had left my camera gear in the car and they were very photographable! Can't comment on how long they will be showing, sorry. Just hope they are still about in 10 days when I am back again.

Phil

Many thanks Phil
Shame you left your camera behind. Hopefully I can get there next weekend.

Beardies at Strumpshaw

Many thanks in advance
Regards

Hi,

Bearded Tits appear to have had a good year at Strumpshaw this year. I was there 2 weekends ago and there were plenty around.

I tend to find that a sunny and still day in Autumn is the best time to see them as their numbers are bolstered by juveniles and they tend to be more active at the top of the reedbeds. Later on in winter they can be harder to connect with as they disperse and their numbers dwindle.

Probably the best place at Strumpshaw is the reedbed between Fen Hide and the river because the path is raised here and gives a good view over looking the reedbed.

Cley is also another good spot. The East bank affords good views over the reedbed as well.

Good luck.

Regards

Steve

Had cracking views of bearded tits from the east bank at cley today
Pictures are on my latest blog post which is on my signature http://upminster birder.blogspot.com/
Excuse some pictures,I am not the best at taking photos,Its more just to keep records than taken seriously lol

Hi,

Bearded Tits appear to have had a good year at Strumpshaw this year. I was there 2 weekends ago and there were plenty around.

I tend to find that a sunny and still day in Autumn is the best time to see them as their numbers are bolstered by juveniles and they tend to be more active at the top of the reedbeds. Later on in winter they can be harder to connect with as they disperse and their numbers dwindle.

Probably the best place at Strumpshaw is the reedbed between Fen Hide and the river because the path is raised here and gives a good view over looking the reedbed.

Cley is also another good spot. The East bank affords good views over the reedbed as well.

Good luck.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve
Many thanks for the info.
I think the forecast is very good for this weekend. Just trying to see if I could get time off to be there on Saturday.

Pictures are on my latest blog post which is on my signature http://upminster birder.blogspot.com/
Excuse some pictures,I am not the best at taking photos,Its more just to keep records than taken seriously lol

Judging from the photos of your blog it looks like you had a good few days in Norfolk. I like the pictures of the Diver and the Guillemot. The sea looks really calm and the birds look fairly close to shore. This never happens to me when I go seawatching in North Norfolk ;)

That was this morning at salthouse,the rest of the week I had pretty much naff all on the sea,although I don't put the time in like many more seasoned sea watchers so I may of had a bit more had I put in the hours,although I prefer scrapes,waders etc
Cracking place though Norfolk,so much so I am back up next Wednesday for 2 days,love the place

Hi sniper
Many thanks for the info.
Excellent blog Sir..:t:

Many thanks in advance
Regards

Bearded tits have been showing well on the new Autumn trail at Titchwell in recent weeks. I saw 10 with a guided walk yesterday but I am not sure they will be showy enough for photography. We had good views but they were very mobile.
We have tried feeding with grit trays in recent winters but it doesnt seem to work for some reason and as far as I know, on other sites in Norfolk use them.
Good luck in your search

Paul

Many thanks in advance
Regards

Both Titchwell and the boardwalk at Cley leading to Daukes have given me good views of Bearded Tit in the last couple of weeks. At the latter we had 16 showing very well together where the boardwalk divides at the back of Daukes at one point and others calling nearby at the same time. There's often an obliging Cetti's in the small trees behind Daukes too. Good luck. Mike

Many thanks in advance
Regards

See Norfolk thread regarding Strumpshaw Fen

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back