• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bedding (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

United Kingdom
For the past 5 weeks or so I've had a Blue Tit roosting quite happily in my nest box.
I clean out the cr@p (of which there's plenty) daily after he leaves but otherwise it's just empty. That doesn't appear to cause him any issues.

I read that you can put dry leaves / wood shavings in as bedding (it's pretty cold right now) but I'm reluctant to do that in case it disturbs the bird.

Any thoughts, for or against?

I've always left ours empty and they seem happy enough, reusing it each year.

I've always left ours empty and they seem happy enough, reusing it each year.

Yes, that's my thought also.:t:

In spring I had a pair raise a single chick (1 egg failed) & I've a feeling that the bird here now was one of that lot. If so, reusing a familiar nest box.
So, unless someone can say positively why I should add bedding I reckon I'll leave it alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back