• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bee Flies (1 Viewer)

simondix

Saw my first Bee Flies for ages today. I think they look quite weird. They were along a path in Arrow Valley Park Redditch.

You know, I've never i.d.'d one of these. I live in NW USA, and my Audubon guide shows several. They are indeed strange looking, some nicer than others: Progressive Bee Fly (quite handsome!); Large Bee Fly (very strange looking). (Anthrax Exoprosopa - what a surprise that first genus part!; and Anthrax Bombylius.

Fabulous little insects - is there only the one species in Britain? We get just the one here on the IOM. Seems to feed exclusively on wild Thyme nectar. I usually hear them before I see them - like a quiet mosquito.

Bee Flies... that's a new one on me...

How would I recognise one if I saw one, simondix - and where should I look?

(Personally I like our Hummingbird Hawk Moths - seeing as we don't get the "real" thing.)

They look like a small, fluffy, plain-brown bee with a long straight proboscis. The ones I see 'hang around' wild thyme - especially where the ground is broken up and the sandy soil is exposed (Manx ones are coastal).

Now that's interesting, CJW...

When me and my good lady were on holiday in Slovenia a couple of years back, we were "approached" by something that sounds very similar.

Like you say, they was fluffy, brown, long proboscis, and also had big black eyes - and one seemed to be very much checking us out.

We were quite taken with them actually, as they looked quite comical. Very much like "cartoon" flies.

Reckon you've solved a little mystery for us.

Cheers

I love your description of them as 'Cartoon Flies' - very apt and it made me remember sitting and watching them last summer and laughing to myself. Must have looked a bit strange from a distance - a grown man sitting in the mileel of a heath and laughing at the ground. No wonder I didn't see anyone else all day!

Nobody ever comes here - to the outside world, we have nowt of interest. The odd heath-based nutter, but that's about it ;)

Bee flies...I remember reading about them years ago. They are I think brood parasites of Bumble Bees.
They will hover outside a Bees nest (the female) firing their eggs into the opening. These later hatch and feed on ?
I had better go and look at that website I think.

Does anyone know the identity of this little fellow. We saw it in Majorca last year but couldn't get any further with the id ?

I'd appreciate it if someone could put a name to it, just for peace of mind.
Unknown Bee

Last edited:
Just had the first one this year in the garden feeding on Forget-me-not. Tried to get a photo but it would not stay in one spot long enough

Sorry I could not reply to the thread I started. I have been in Cyprus for a week. Lots of birds, saw my first Swallowtail and lots of other things I did not recognise. I use Collins Guide to Insects by Michael Chinery. It is a good book but really only skims the surface of a very deep pool.

Ian, that's a great photo of a very strange looking bee. I looked at all bees in Audubon Insect guide for N. Amer. just in case there was a close cousin, but didn't see anything similar. I'll have to look through all the flies too. Nice shot for sure. Steve B

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back