• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Beetle ID? - Cambridgeshire, UK (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

Attached two pictures.

On initial inspection I thought this was a Red-headed Cardinal Beetle (Pyrochroa serraticornis).
Then I looked at the second picture. As you can see the underside is predominantly red/orange -
all the pictures I have seen show the underside as entirely black.

Could someone help with this please?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 14
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 15

pdwinter

Paul Winter
Pyrochroa serraticornis

I will have a look at the underside of a few - one of the most common beetles I see at the moment. (The underside does not feature in the key I have :) )

DoghouseRiley

Pyrochroa serraticornis

I will have a look at the underside of a few - one of the most common beetles I see at the moment. (The underside does not feature in the key I have :) )
Hi Paul.

I went through google images and flikr and can't find one that has any red/orange on the underside, or any mention of variation.

Thanks, Gareth

DoghouseRiley

Your second shot is of a Soldier Beetle - Cantharis rustica , both cracking images.
OMG! Well that could explain it :rolleyes:

Sorry guys...... The hedgerow was alive with insects and I was literally snapping everything I could.

Thanks creaturesnapper - you don't fancy a go at the possible Andrena possted a few days ago? ;);)

Users who are viewing this thread