• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Belgian Wolf disappears (1 Viewer)

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
Wolves are still increasing at about 15-20% a year in NW Germany, so probably a new one will come soon.

etudiant

Supporter
Wolves are still increasing at about 15-20% a year in NW Germany, so probably a new one will come soon.

Can wolves predate pigs?
Given the proliferation of wild pigs, perhaps the wolves are a natural check.
Of course, wolves are smart and will probably pick sheep as a less hazardous prey than wild boars.

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Can wolves predate pigs?
Given the proliferation of wild pigs, perhaps the wolves are a natural check.
Yes, they can; Wild Boar are a major food item for Wolves.

Of course, wolves are smart and will probably pick sheep as a less hazardous prey than wild boars.

Wolves are also smart enough to realise that killing sheep results in humans coming after them, which is far more hazardous. Well-educated wolves avoid sheep and go for boars and deer :t:

Andy Adcock

England
Yes, they can; Wild Boar are a major food item for Wolves.

Wolves are also smart enough to realise that killing sheep results in humans coming after them, which is far more hazardous. Well-educated wolves avoid sheep and go for boars and deer :t:

As a pack I presume, can't see a lone Wolf tackling an adult Boar on it's own?

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Probably true. A lone wolf is more likely to go for smaller prey like rabbits or hares; the advantage is that it doesn't have to share its small prey of course.

Farnboro John

It depends. I'm not sure how old they breed but breeders in the Forest of Dean are quite small (compared to either domestic pigs or to the occasional monster tusker such as the first Wild Boar I ever saw in Sussex) and would pose no problems at all to an adult Wolf. So from piglet to several years old they would be fair game for a single Wolf.

John

Andy Adcock

England
It depends. I'm not sure how old they breed but breeders in the Forest of Dean are quite small (compared to either domestic pigs or to the occasional monster tusker such as the first Wild Boar I ever saw in Sussex) and would pose no problems at all to an adult Wolf. So from piglet to several years old they would be fair game for a single Wolf.

John

You should see the monsters on my patch in Russia!

Users who are viewing this thread