• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Belgian Wolf disappears (1 Viewer)

Wolves are still increasing at about 15-20% a year in NW Germany, so probably a new one will come soon.

Can wolves predate pigs?
Given the proliferation of wild pigs, perhaps the wolves are a natural check.
Of course, wolves are smart and will probably pick sheep as a less hazardous prey than wild boars.

Can wolves predate pigs?
Given the proliferation of wild pigs, perhaps the wolves are a natural check.
Yes, they can; Wild Boar are a major food item for Wolves.

Of course, wolves are smart and will probably pick sheep as a less hazardous prey than wild boars.

Wolves are also smart enough to realise that killing sheep results in humans coming after them, which is far more hazardous. Well-educated wolves avoid sheep and go for boars and deer :t:

Yes, they can; Wild Boar are a major food item for Wolves.

Wolves are also smart enough to realise that killing sheep results in humans coming after them, which is far more hazardous. Well-educated wolves avoid sheep and go for boars and deer :t:

As a pack I presume, can't see a lone Wolf tackling an adult Boar on it's own?

As a pack I presume, can't see a lone Wolf tackling an adult Boar on it's own?

It depends. I'm not sure how old they breed but breeders in the Forest of Dean are quite small (compared to either domestic pigs or to the occasional monster tusker such as the first Wild Boar I ever saw in Sussex) and would pose no problems at all to an adult Wolf. So from piglet to several years old they would be fair game for a single Wolf.

John

It depends. I'm not sure how old they breed but breeders in the Forest of Dean are quite small (compared to either domestic pigs or to the occasional monster tusker such as the first Wild Boar I ever saw in Sussex) and would pose no problems at all to an adult Wolf. So from piglet to several years old they would be fair game for a single Wolf.

John

You should see the monsters on my patch in Russia!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back