• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bell’s Vireo? DFW Texas (1 Viewer)

vintagecami

United States
Hello, my area has been hit with snowmageddon and it’s brought lots of birds to my feeders. I live on a treed acre, in a rural pocket of the DFW metroplex. I’ve been trying to ID this little bird that looks very much like a Ruby crowned kinglet but it’s slightly bigger, has a dark line through its eye ring and has two white wing bars (top one faint) with no black wing bar. All ID points to it being a Bell’s Vireo but they’re only supposed to be in this area during breeding season. Is it possible that this is a Bell’s Vireo? Photo taken 2/17

Attachments

• B71F102E-FB15-46C6-8917-74DBB38A0D5A.jpeg
    B71F102E-FB15-46C6-8917-74DBB38A0D5A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54

vintagecami

United States
Thanks y’all for the ID! pine warbler makes sense because there has been a bunch of males at the feeders but I didn’t know that males and females were colored differently. Pine warblers aren’t usually this far west, all they? How accurate is allaboutbirds range map?

Micro, thanks for the concern...I was without power for 30 hours with -1° temps. This has been craziness! No power, severe water restrictions (no laundry, dishes or showers), can’t find firewood, heaters or open stores, no hotel rooms, and now gas is getting scarse. It’s like 2021 said, “you think 2020 was bad...hold my beer!”

Seanbirds

Amateur photographer
United States
Thanks y’all for the ID! pine warbler makes sense because there has been a bunch of males at the feeders but I didn’t know that males and females were colored differently. Pine warblers aren’t usually this far west, all they? How accurate is allaboutbirds range map?
That is a rather rare bird for your location. The all about birds range map is mostly accurate. Nice bird!!

birdmeister

United States
Best wishes for the situation to improve down there. A real crisis for many.

The eBird map shows a large number of Pine Warbler reports in the Dallas-Fort Worth area this winter, but very few west of there. Perhaps you're on the edge of their winter range.

Users who are viewing this thread