• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Belle Fourche, SD (1 Viewer)

Can anyone tell me if the Belle Fourche National Refuge is a staging area for Fall flights.?? This area is new to me, however, it shows promise for lots of birds. This past week I have 4 evenings in out there. I've been watching a serious flock of Blackbirds gather up at night. One night I generally estimated 10,000 birds. I needed more accuracy in my count so I went back for a 4th evening. I set a timer and counted in 25's, 50's, 75's and 100's. In 28 minutes I was at 5,650 Blackbirds. I got a thrill out of this..... At about the 35 minute mark I drove a short distance for another viewing. I eyed my binoculars and the big flock was moving in.... It was thick with Blackbird for 2 to 3 minutes. Steady.
The habitat is meadow forever and a large marshland with cattail. These birds love this habitat.

So, does anyone here have experience with Belle Fourche.??

Attachments

• IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3524.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 19

Muppit17

Can anyone tell me if the Belle Fourche National Refuge is a staging area for Fall flights.?? This area is new to me, however, it shows promise for lots of birds. This past week I have 4 evenings in out there. I've been watching a serious flock of Blackbirds gather up at night. One night I generally estimated 10,000 birds. I needed more accuracy in my count so I went back for a 4th evening. I set a timer and counted in 25's, 50's, 75's and 100's. In 28 minutes I was at 5,650 Blackbirds. I got a thrill out of this..... At about the 35 minute mark I drove a short distance for another viewing. I eyed my binoculars and the big flock was moving in.... It was thick with Blackbird for 2 to 3 minutes. Steady.
The habitat is meadow forever and a large marshland with cattail. These birds love this habitat.

So, does anyone here have experience with Belle Fourche.??

Never been, but the ebird hotspot seemed to show good number of species and if you click on the 'bar charts' you can see that there are a lot of ducks etc in October.
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1195589

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread