• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Bent primaries in captured birds (1 Viewer)

adejoannis

Hi, I'm capturing snowy plovers for a banding project. On the last effort, most of them had bent outer primaries when I took them out of the bags, from flapping in there while they were waiting. Has anyone seen this? I wonder if the bends will straighten out again on their own. Perhaps I should switch to another method of securing birds after capture.

Mark Grantham

Another option is to use steam - run the bent feather over the steam and it (quite bizarrely) pings back to being straight. Very effective if you can get a good steam source!

Boy Wonder

Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves
Or you could build holding pens for them. A lot of wader groups do this as it allows them to stretch their legs too.

John Morgan

Hi, I'm capturing snowy plovers for a banding project. On the last effort, most of them had bent outer primaries when I took them out of the bags, from flapping in there while they were waiting. Has anyone seen this? I wonder if the bends will straighten out again on their own. Perhaps I should switch to another method of securing birds after capture.

There is an old pigeon fancier's trick that I learned years ago, which is to steam the kink in the feather for 1 - 2 seconds. It works like magic.

If you are out in the field, this can be difficult to manage, but I have had some sucess on kinks occurring under these circumstances by wetting the feather around the kink, then using a narrow tube (such as one uses for skulling or fat determination) to blow on the affected bit. The warmth of the breath clearly helps, so if you are able to arrange a jet of warm air from something battery powered ... Of course, if you are in a car or a truck then it is possible to get a 12v kettle on the boil and create real steam.

jonathmartinez

As suggest Boy wonders, I highly suggest to use holding pens, it is usually very easy to set it up on the sand.
I attach a pic of the one I'm using.

Attachments

• KentishPloverAfterProcessingIMG_8203Xitou20130112BD.jpg
    KentishPloverAfterProcessingIMG_8203Xitou20130112BD.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 70
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread