• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Best" and "Vintage" (1 Viewer)

WJC

“Best” and “Vintage”

I realize that those new to binoculars have oversimplified thoughts on how to get many of their questions across. ‘Been there; done that. But ...

Without being specific on the exact levels of performance being sought, the term “BEST” ... in each category, and in each price range, can only be broken down to about 200 brands and models! (with performance indistinguishable by most observers.) Thus it’s as productive as trying to go out and milk the bull! Even then, it is totally subjective. And until every person has the exact number of rods and cones, each with exactly the same sensitivity to the exact wavelenght, and have exactly the same accommodations for the exact optical anomalies, and until each person has the same performance goal in mind, it will always be the same ... subjective, wherein science must bow to the opinions of the masses, the VAST MAJORITY—though not all—of which don’t understand even the most rudimentary aspects of optics and would rather spend years on these forums sharing their wealth of optical knowledge than minutes on optical engineering forums, where they could actually learn something.

And finally ... THERE ARE NO 9-YEAR-OLD, PLASTIC-BASED, “VINTAGE” TASCO BINOCULARS.

Back in my hole, now.

Bill

Last edited:
From the vantage point of about a 5 year immersion into this realm, I would say that much of what you say is true, but also there are the issues of whether a specific model actually 'fits' the user. And by that I mean that there may not be enough eye relief or minimum IPD distance between the eyes. And this is more of an issue with many older binoculars, even if they are optically excellent.

My point is that by reading forums like this, that one can (eventually) separate the wheat from the chaff, and at least help determine which of the '200' binocular models might in fact actually work for the individual.

I feel your pain, but from someone who wears glasses and has a narrow IPD, it really helps to hear from a variety of sources what actually works for them, and what doesn't. I see it more like pants and shoes that fit.....or don't.

Respectfully,

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back