• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best binos for preteen boys, under $200? (1 Viewer)

Our Birthday/Labor Day Sale started tonight at Midnight and runs through Monday at Midnight. All Athlon, GPO, Sig Sauer, Kowa, Meopta, Konus, Zeiss and Hawke optics will be on sale.
Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what spotter would be good for you

As far as the Kowa YF goes, I've compared the Leupold Yosemite 10x30 to my Vortex Diamondback 10x42, and found the Diamondback to be a step up in quality. So, as long as the Kowa YF is basically identical to the Yosemite, the Diamondback is better, but the Diamondback costs more, so it really depends on whether one wants to spend $100 or $190. The Kowa YF/Leupold Yosemite is quite good for the price, but the Diamondback is better (but for a higher price).

OP Update:

I received the Kowa YF II 6x30 today. My intent in ordering it was to give to my 7yo niece, but thought I would probably take my time and try to find a sale to snag a couple 8x32 diamondbacks for the older boys. However, the Kowas are no joke - I think this is a winner for all the kiddos!

The rubber feel and construction of the Kowas is excellent, the image is unbelievable, not just for the price - it's great, full stop. The weight and ergonomics are better than I expected, and the size is a little bigger than I'd hoped for pocket-ability but will be an unnoticed extra weight in a small daypack or around the neck...might even spring for a young harness for the boys. I think I'll stick with the 6x30 as it's immediately steady with a bright, wide view (clear and sharp very nearly to the edge), and it doesn't feel like there's anything significant lost compared to 8x magnification, to me. I'm very pleased with this thing. Thanks for the tips!

thanks again for the feedback. Thought I’d share a pic of the kowas for my niece now that I have the custom (Etsy) strap for her. She said her favorite colors are turquoise and “a pinkish color” so I went for hot pink because it looks good with green and should be easy to spot in the woods when it is inevitably misplaced. For the older boys I think I’ll get them some young harnesses.91CD196A-3BA6-4F60-83FE-D7A69FF729CD.jpeg

we bought our kids Vortex Raptor 6.5x 32’s

figured we couldn’t go wrong with Vortex warranty if the kids break or damage the binos. We tested this about a yr later when my son damaged one of the eyepieces when he dropped his binos accidentally - Vortex gave us a new unit no questions asked.

The kids are now using Zeiss Terra 8x25’s as the image quality is a step up from the Raptors and they are more competent at using their binos. The Terras should see them into young adulthood when they can start sharing our Bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back