• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Bird Guide for Ireland? (1 Viewer)

foggy11

Greetings all. I will be moving to Northwest Ireland from the U.S. for a new job opportunity in a week or two. I am wondering what the group here considers the best bird guide for Ireland.

I realise everone has their personal tastes, mine tend to shy away from those that use photographs and towards those that are illustrated instead. The Sibley guides for example.

I would like to find one that I can actually carry with me in the field since I'm sure I'll be using it almost constantly!

Any hints on good birding spots in County Donegal would also be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

foggy

The Collin's guide by Svensson, Mullarney & Zetterstrom is widely regarded throughout Ireland, and pretty much the rest of the universe, as the best guide to the birds of Europe.

It is relatively inexpensive (starts at about £17 - don't know about Euros or Dollars), the paperback version is small and light enough to throw into a big pocket or bag and both the illustrations & text are pretty much unsurpassed.

As someone used to the Sibley guide (which I think is grossly overated - I mean there's no text and the pics are a bit naff???) you will be astounded by how good this book is.
Buy it without reservation!!!
Tom

Agreed on the Collins Bird Guide.

Keep the Sibley to hand though, northwest Ireland probably gets more American birds than anywhere else in Europe except for perhaps Iceland (the only problem is, they never get found, because no-one's looking!)

Michael

Thank you both for the help. The Collins book is ordered and on the way. I'll keep an eye out for a stray robin or two.

foggy

Hi Foggy,
As the others have said,the Collins Guide is the best field guide for Ireland(and anywhere else in Europe).
As for birding spots in Donegal,depends on what you'd want to look for?While it hasn't exactly been a happy hunting ground for me over the last few years,I know a fair few sites there:send me a private message and I'll get back to you.
An American Robin would be much appreciated....;)
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back