• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bird guides by region...Asia (4 Viewers)

Andy, surely you haven't forgotten the thrupenny bits, tanners, and half-crowns already? Real money; not namby-pamby metrics ... the kids of today don't know they're born, etc, etc. When I were a lad .........

I was trying to keep it simple James ;)

And don't forget the Groat, worth 4 Pennies, the 5 shilling coin colloquially referred to as a Dollar due to its resemblance to the American coin, a two shilling coin was also know as a Florin etc, etc

Last edited:
The USA's continued use of imperial units is mind-numbingly frustrating and backwards, I agree completely.

Lynx have just announced that a new Field guide to Peninsular Malaysia, Malaysian Borneo and Singapore is due for publication in mid-July.
https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-of-malaysia/

Another Field Guide to Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore is due for publication in August.
https://www.nhbs.com/field-guide-to-the-birds-of-malaysia-singapore-book

Totally ignnoring the survey they did then and pumping out stuff that really isn't a priority when a shortage of field guides in other areas is so obvious. Looks like they're covering the most popular destinations first to get max revenue.

Including Malaysian Borneo makes little sense to me, Borneo is usually covered in it's own volume.

Individual country guides for e.g Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Brazil and a host of other South American countries would be nice

Last edited:
This is great news. The Philippines is one country that really does need a modern field guide. I have a feeling the taxonomy is going to make for interesting debate. No doubt more drongos ahoy!

Advance in TODAY – Birds of the Middle East by AbdulRahman Al-Sirhan, Jens Eriksen and Richard Porter. The first in a brand new photographic series, the Helm Wildlife Guides. Very happy with it! It looks and feels fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_20211020_165242.jpg
    IMG_20211020_165242.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
The 'blurb' on Amazon includes....

'A guide to the best birdwatching sites in the Middle East is also included.'

Is this incorporated within the book or is it a separate booklet?

The 'blurb' on Amazon includes....

'A guide to the best birdwatching sites in the Middle East is also included.'

Is this incorporated within the book or is it a separate booklet?
The wording would mean it is in the book. But that also precludes a very detailed part, as they emphasize the book's portability.

I'm not a big fan of combination field guides and site guides. The latter part gets out of date very quickly (especially somewhere like the Middle East).

Looking for some feedback on bird guide for India (or region). Richart Grimmett, Helm or Princeton Publications. I hope to head to India in October 2022, and if I like it, it won't be my only visit. I haven't been to that part of the world yet, so it is a bit of unknown territory. I have 2 (not bird specialty) tours planned, with consideration of several days independently in the region of Thettakad Bird Sanctuary near Kochin. That would be bird focused, whilst other tours visit some National Parks, but opportunistic birding. As I am entering that retired period of my life and want to spend winters somewhere warmer than Canada, I like the idea of a guide covering several countries but not sure whether that is beneficial with the Princeton's 2012 guide. I don't know how much change there has been to taxonomy in 10 years. If you know it, I understand that Merlin App has an India pack for download to supplement any paper guides. These days, I tend to use apps in the field, but still like a guide for doing my pre trip homework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back