• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands (1 Viewer)

gordon hamlett

Hi all,

The publishers (Buckingham Press), in their wisdom, have decided that there should be a second edition of the above mentioned book. As the reponse to the first edition has been pretty positive on these forums, I would like to pick your brains as to how to make the second edition even better.

The aim is to include three completely new tours - Mull, Morvern and North-east Scotland, together with plenty of new sites and updates for the existing tours. In particular, Easter Ross, Wester Ross, Sutherland and Caithness are all likely to get extra sites.

With that in mind, please feel free to comment on some, or all of the following points. If you have information that is particularly sensitive, then please pm me instead of posting here.

What did you particularly like about the book?

What were its main faults?

Did you find any errors that need correcting? (And yes, I know about the mountain hair on one map instead of mountain hare!)

Which tours either worked or didn't work particularly well?

Were there any sites that you didn't think should have been in the book?

Are there any places you would like to see included in the next edition?

Did you have trouble with any of the maps or printed directions?

Did you find the printed checklist useful or would you rather have the space devoted to extra birding sites?

Given that I have to be very careful about what I write about Schedule 1 birds (ie I can't give away breeding sites etc) did you find that that the amount of detail on birds in an area was sufficient? Did any sites overstep the mark? Are there any sites that look appealing but could cause disturbance to sensitive species? (pm me if there is anything too sensitive for including on this forum).

Are there any other ways in which you think that the format of the book could be improved?

As space is likely to be unbelievably tight, do you prefer fewer sites in more detail, or more sites with less detail?

Is there anything else you would like see in the book? Or anything else that should be taken out?

Any other comments?

Thanks for your help.

Gordon Hamlett

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back