• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best book to get into bats and bat detector in Europe (1 Viewer)

jurek

Hi,
I want to learn more about bats, and especially about using a bat detector and bat ID by ultrasounds. I am based in Central Europe. What is the best guide now to learn things? I know much about wildlife and wildlife watching in general.

Hi,
I want to learn more about bats, and especially about using a bat detector and bat ID by ultrasounds. I am based in Central Europe. What is the best guide now to learn things? I know much about wildlife and wildlife watching in general.
I would suggest building up your knowledge and identification skills using the following books:

Russ et al. (2021). Bat Calls of Britain and Europe: A Guide to species identification (Pelagic Publishing)
Barataud (2015). Acoustic Ecology of European Bats (Biotope Editions)
Runkel et al. (2021). The Handbook of Acoustic Bat Identification. (Pelagic Publishing)
Skiba (2014). Europäische Fledermäuse (VerlagsKGWolf)

The new Russ book has been highly praised by people into bat detecting. I have it, I have read a few chapters and looked at some sonograms, but it requires some sustained effort to start understanding. But it looks very practical - there is a lot of content specifically designed to teach you how to ID species and, more importantly, to make you understand how reliably the ID is, what the variations can be etc... It's the only book on the topic that I have so far but it looks like that for European bats it might be everything you need.

I would suggest building up your knowledge and identification skills using the following books:

Russ et al. (2021). Bat Calls of Britain and Europe: A Guide to species identification (Pelagic Publishing)
Barataud (2015). Acoustic Ecology of European Bats (Biotope Editions)
Runkel et al. (2021). The Handbook of Acoustic Bat Identification. (Pelagic Publishing)
Skiba (2014). Europäische Fledermäuse (VerlagsKGWolf)
So these books have sonograms for all the local bat species, meaning that I should find the attached sound by comparing it with the book? (with some limitations of course, as mentioned by opisska). I suspect it's a bat because it's fully above 20kHz, but maybe other mammals produce pure ultrasounds...

Attachments

• bat.jpg
    bat.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back