• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best build quality of the three... (1 Viewer)

Several people I know who use it used EDG bins day in day out, travelling and birding with them have had problems with the armor… and as mentioned that is getting harder or will get harder to get serviced.

Yeah mate. but how many Birdforum folks use their binoculars anything like as hard as those guys? Like, those three fine looking examples in the post below yours, how many hours use did each of them have in the last 12 months?

Not everyone runs along roof tops chasing raptors, or go through the jungle of central America for hours. Optics are appreciated by non birders also. The EDGs look good don't they.

Yeah mate. but how many Birdforum folks use their binoculars anything like as hard as those guys? Like, those three fine looking examples in the post below yours, how many hours use did each of them have in the last 12 months?

I don't know and cannot say. But I bird and travel a lot and while I take reasonable care of my optics, I want them to hold up. I'm not for or against any brand, just commenting on what I have seen over the years.

I think that it varies from one country to another — this is, if we take into consideration the technical support and responsiveness of the manufacturer to the owners in the market in question. Yes, there could be initial discernible differences in quality that I hope are reflected in the price of acquisition. However, these differences, if they detract from the joy of using the binoculars, could be mitigated by a refined and responsive service from the manufacturer; the opposite is correct, of course.

Hastily added, however, I am a Leica fanboy and have found their products superb and are very well supported here in the US. I also have a Swarovski ATS scope and also found the company here in the US a pleasure to deal with. Kowa and Nikon, of course, are not to be trifled with at all, but I leave it to those who dealt with their service centers in the market in question to complete the picture. Regardless of the outcome, enjoy in good health.

Zeiss used to advertise their binoculars' robustness by literally running over them with a truck. I suspect the other top brands have a similar level of robustness far beyond what a normal birdwatcher will experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back