• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best eyepiece for the MM4 50ED - the SDL or HDF? (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

I finally have gotten fed up with too many breakages on my Nikon ED50 and I'm looking around for an alternative, and this seems like it might be it. Any thoughts on which eyepiece is better for this scope? I can't find FOV specs for them on this scope.

Last edited:
SDL is brighter and sharper and has the added benefit of being fully waterproof. Table below shows FOV for current and previous generation SDL compared to HDF.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

MagFOV degm@1000m
41270 SDLv3min.123.356.7
max.362.137.2
40936 SDLv2min.123.051.5
max.361.933.3
40862 HDF Tmin.123.256.4
max.361.525.5

SDL is brighter and sharper and has the added benefit of being fully waterproof. Table below shows FOV for current and previous generation SDL compared to HDF.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

MagFOV degm@1000m
41270 SDLv3min.123.356.7
max.362.137.2
40936 SDLv2min.123.051.5
max.361.933.3
40862 HDF Tmin.123.256.4
max.361.525.5
Hello

Is this table available for other scope models i.e. HR GA 80 ED, etc?

Hi,

I don't think so, but you don't need it... you need to know two formulas and the data above plus the given magnifications for some Opticron body with one of the EPs listed above from the Opticron page - or the body focal length:

magnification = body focal length / eyepiece focal length

SDLv2 and 3 as well as the HDF-T are all 8-24mm zoom EPs. So we get a body focal length of 288mm for the MM4-50 (12*24 = 8*36 = 288).

For my Kowa TSN-3 with its 420mm focal length that means that I get 17.5-52.5x magnification.

apparent field of view (in deg) = true field of view (in deg) * magnification

This is formula is a bit of an approximation and does ignore eyepiece distortion, but for calculating the field for the same EP on a different body it's going to be fine.

So for my TSN-3 with the SDLv2 we first calculate the afov of the SDLv2 at the low and high mag end - 36 deg at the low mag end (12*3) and 68.4 deg at the high mag end (36*1.9).
We then devide these two values by the magnifications at their respective end of the zoom range and get 2.1 deg at 17.5x and 1.3 deg at 52.5x for the TSN-3.

And if you want to convert a true field value in deg to the more common notation in m at 1000m distance, you can just multiply by 17.45m (or multiply the tfov in deg by 52.5 ft for the true field in ft at 1000y).

Joachim

Hi,

I don't think so, but you don't need it... you need to know two formulas and the data above plus the given magnifications for some Opticron body with one of the EPs listed above from the Opticron page - or the body focal length:

SDLv2 and 3 as well as the HDF-T are all 8-24mm zoom EPs. So we get a body focal length of 288mm for the MM4-50 (12*24 = 8*36 = 288).

For my Kowa TSN-3 with its 420mm focal length that means that I get 17.5-52.5x magnification.

This is formula is a bit of an approximation and does ignore eyepiece distortion, but for calculating the field for the same EP on a different body it's going to be fine.

So for my TSN-3 with the SDLv2 we first calculate the afov of the SDLv2 at the low and high mag end - 36 deg at the low mag end (12*3) and 68.4 deg at the high mag end (36*1.9).
We then devide these two values by the magnifications at their respective end of the zoom range and get 2.1 deg at 17.5x and 1.3 deg at 52.5x for the TSN-3.

And if you want to convert a true field value in deg to the more common notation in m at 1000m distance, you can just multiply by 17.45m (or multiply the tfov in deg by 52.5 ft for the true field in ft at 1000y).

Joachim
Hi Jaochim,

Thanks for this post. Is there any way to calculate the aFOV or m at 1000m for the middle part of the zoom range for these scopes? I.e., calculate the FOV for the MM4/SDL v3 at 25x, or the FOV for the TSN 883 at 45X? This would allow a more apples to apples comparison of different scopes at the same magnification. Thanks.

Hi,

unfortunately not, one could of course assume that the afov is just linear over the zoom range, but it really isn't. See the below link for data on some real world example:

Joachim

Hi,

unfortunately not, one could of course assume that the afov is just linear over the zoom range, but it really isn't. See the below link for data on some real world example:

Joachim
Thank you

Hi,

Joachim
Thanks Jring...yes I can do the maths, but I was expecting the manufacturer to make the specs available to customers who are considering upgrading (who are actually part of the market they would go an buy the eyepiece). They are very basics specs the ones being asked at the end of the day...

MM4 50 ED and SDL V2 user here and I couldn't be happier. Ultra light, massively portable and I rave about this crazy good set up. *

* And I found the portability to be a thing of great beauty when I found myself knee deep in the Arctic Norwegian snow or shifting desert sands of North Africa.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back