• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best low- to mid-priced monocular (1 Viewer)

My wife has taken to hiking and wants something very light and compact to observe the occasional bird or animal. When we are together and see something interesting, I hand her my Leica binos and she is content to look through them for about 20 seconds and that's it. So I want to buy her something that is sharp enough to have a rewarding, but quick look. I am considering the Hawke 8x25 monocular. I am also interested in the Zeiss 6x18. I tend to buy high-end optics, not because I have a fat wallet, but I do appreciate good glass, perhaps more than my wife. So maybe she would be happy with the Hawke model. I have heard the focussing ring is stiff and plasticky feeling, which puts me off a little. Any thoughts or suggestions--on these or other models--are most welcome. Thank you.
I have two Hawke Endurance ED monoculars, the 8x42 and 7x42 marine, very happy with both. The 8x is lighter and smaller than the 7x, but both fit in a jacket pocket. Because of the 42mm objectives they're good any time of the day. Btw, for lots of people it's challenging to hold a 10x42 steady.

American company Vortex has several monoculars on offer. This is their German website. I have no idea which other EU countries they supply, but from Spain you can easily order in Germany. Vortex are known for giving a fairly good bang for you Euro in the mid-price section, while their top range stuff is way too expensive for what it is.
Another company's offerings that might be worth a look are Kite Optics in Belgium.

Hi,

I would really recommend to get either an ok pair of smaller and lighter bins than the 7x42 (a light pair of 8x30 like the monarch 7 would be great or if it must be smaller, pocket pair) or even better, take the wife to an optics store and let her choose.

Using a hand-held mono for birding is certainly possible, but the vast majority of users will prefer a pair of bins except in a pinch...

Joachim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back