• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best mid-range flat field bino? (and where to buy in EU) (1 Viewer)

Tatanka88

Hungary
Hi, folks!

I'm looking for a sub-€800, 10x42 pair of binoculars with flat field technology, but I have no chance to try them out in my country.
Okay, this is not entirely true, because there are Monarch HGs around, but they are too expensive, and I was unable to find a used piece.

Right now I know about two affordable models, the Celestron Regal ED and Hawke Frontier APO.
I can not find any Opticron Aurora BGA VHD on the continent, and I think if I could, it would be a little bit too expensive compared to the above.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions, do you know about any other models with these properties in this price range?
Also a honest opinion about the two mentioned models would be nice, if you have tried them, what do you think, does the Hawke worth the higher price?

I want to order inside the European Union, because I may have to return the product, warranty administration is easier etc.
BUT I'm also ready to visit a store near my country before ordering, if they are in stock, do you know a well suplied binocular shop in Wien, Bratislava etc.???

Thank you in advance for your help!

1. State your actual location and how far you are willing to travel.

2. There is no "best", only what works for your eyes, face, hands etc. Helps if you share your preferences on eye relief, size, weight etc.

3. Order from a place that allows easy returns e.g. Amazon. Doesn't have to be your local Amazon, US UK DE ES NL JP etc all accept returns.

4. Not many non-premium 10x42 with field flatteners. Others I know of: Athlon Cronus G2 UHD, Viking ED FF (discontinued).

5. If you buy used you can usually resell at little or no loss, except for shipping cost.

6. Main advantage of flat field is for astronomy, to get pinpoint stars across the whole field of view. For wildlife viewing, most of the time it doesn't matter, and field flatteners add weight and cost.

DDoptics Lux HR. It's discontinued however and the focus wheel is slightly sloppy. Seems to be normal as both of the ones I own have the same sloppy focuser.
The same model was also sold by Sightron and the French online optics store "Perl" who also sells stuff by Vixen.

Thank you, but it seems to have a narrow FOV. I'm looking for -and sorry not to mention that- a piece with at least 6,5°, 112-113m @1000m or wider.

I would hold out for a Monarch HG or Opticron Aurora. Perhaps used to achieve the price. Monarch HG go on sale from time to time…

Hi, I’ve tried the Kite Lynx HD, for much the same reasons as yours, which I really liked. If it wasn’t for getting another pair of binos as a retirement present at the time I was looking for something new the Kite Lynx HD would now hang around my neck.

Hi, I’ve tried the Kite Lynx HD, for much the same reasons as yours, which I really liked. If it wasn’t for getting another pair of binos as a retirement present at the time I was looking for something new the Kite Lynx HD would now hang around my neck.

Thanks for the tip, it looks like an interesting piece.
The lesson of yesterday:
To my misfortune, my eyes seem to be very sensitive to chromatic aberration. :(
I have spent some time with a Monarch HG, and I saw a LOT of purple/green color in 60% of the FOV, only the middle 40% was flawless (to my eyes). And now I need to rethink my opinion on the M7...

Thanks for the tip, it looks like an interesting piece.
The lesson of yesterday:
To my misfortune, my eyes seem to be very sensitive to chromatic aberration. :(
I have spent some time with a Monarch HG, and I saw a LOT of purple/green color in 60% of the FOV, only the middle 40% was flawless (to my eyes). And now I need to rethink my opinion on the M7...
Perhaps your best bet is to find a used 10x42 Swarovski EL FP. It may be slightly over budget but should otherwise meet your requirements. There are quite a few stores that carry used optics, just bookmark them and visit regularly.

Just overall impression at this point since it was awhile since I had them briefly. Don’t anything compares for the price. Not in the class as the MHG but also a third of the price.

Hi, folks!

I'm looking for a sub-€800, 10x42 pair of binoculars with flat field technology, but I have no chance to try them out in my country.
Okay, this is not entirely true, because there are Monarch HGs around, but they are too expensive, and I was unable to find a used piece.

Right now I know about two affordable models, the Celestron Regal ED and Hawke Frontier APO.
I can not find any Opticron Aurora BGA VHD on the continent, and I think if I could, it would be a little bit too expensive compared to the above.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions, do you know about any other models with these properties in this price range?
Also a honest opinion about the two mentioned models would be nice, if you have tried them, what do you think, does the Hawke worth the higher price?

I want to order inside the European Union, because I may have to return the product, warranty administration is easier etc.
BUT I'm also ready to visit a store near my country before ordering, if they are in stock, do you know a well suplied binocular shop in Wien, Bratislava etc.???

Thank you in advance for your help!
Why are you looking for a flat field binocular ? There are many quality choices out there.
The mid range does not have many, the Nikon MHG is the only one I know of.
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back