• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Nikon EDG (1 Viewer)

Wow Msarif has flipped 1100+ items on eBay
You could make some good $ selling that many items. It would keep you busy th
That sounds like a good

You did tell me to buy them, didn’t you? 🤔

Im not sure about 10x32’s, Small exit pupal , eye position, but I’ll give them a whirl. The price seemed good if there as described. Thank you 🙏🏼

Paul
Don't worry about the small exit pupil if they are alphas. My favorite birding binoculars right now are the NL 10x32. I have no trouble with eye placement or brightness. I compared them to a Fujinon FMTR-SX 10x50 at dusk, and they were almost as bright.:LOL:

Last edited:

Don't worry about the small exit pupil if they are alphas. My favorite birding binoculars right now are the NL 10x32. I have no trouble with eye placement or brightness. I compared them to a Fujinon FMTR-SX 10x50 at dusk, and they were almost as bright.:LOL:
Small exit pupil is always a big issue for me. I guess our eyes/brains are different. I hate finnicky eye placement. I find it very annoying.
Actually it's probably because I wear glasses so I have no direct contact with my face to align the e/p with.
Do you wear glasses Dennis?

Best wishes

Just FYI while Mr. Arif states they are “open box”, be aware they are the exact pair that Eitan sold (and used) a while ago.

The serial number is a match.
None of Msarif's stuff is new unless he received them as a warranty exchange doesn't suprise me these were Eitan's with the odometer rolled back.

Lozack and Msarif are well known on eBay it’s a business for them antics akin to used car salesmen.

Regardless the EDG is still great glass let us know if you like the 10x32.

Last edited:
None of Msarif's stuff is new unless he received them as a warranty exchange doesn't suprise me these were Eitan's with the odometer rolled back.

Lozack and Msarif are well known on eBay it’s a business for them antics akin to used car salesmen.

Regardless the EDG is still great glass let us know if you like the 10x32.
As far as I’m concerned , open box should look like new. There should be almost no distinguishable evidence of use. A store display that hasn’t been outdoors a dozen times should be very clean. The price looked good and the lead did come from my friends here on BF 😁.

Only thing that kept me from 10x30/32‘s was the eye position comfort issues and brightness with the small exit pupal. I’m hoping during the day there shouldn’t be much difference than a 42 other than the eye box.

Thank you
Paul

But those are NL’s😜

As far as I’m concerned , open box should look like new. There should be almost no distinguishable evidence of use. A store display that hasn’t been outdoors a dozen times should be very clean. The price looked good and the lead did come from my friends here on BF 😁.

Only thing that kept me from 10x30/32‘s was the eye position comfort issues and brightness with the small exit pupal. I’m hoping during the day there shouldn’t be much difference than a 42 other than the eye box.

Thank you
Paul
Paul, I don’t think you read Netheros post these were previously owned by Eitan he purchased them as a demo, used them one year which included a trip to Mexico sold them on eBay for $900 as used to Msarif.

Eitan description at time of sale.

Standard EDG FAQ:
  • There is some slight loosening/separation of the rubber armor in a few places (common with EDG and older HG Nikons) but it's minimal. For the most part the rubber is still tight and well secured, and there is zero deterioration otherwise.
  • The focus knob is of course smooth and well damped, slightly more resistance than an 8x42 EDG that I have as well currently. When the binoculars haven't been used in a bit the knob feels a bit extra tight, but turning it back and forth unsticks whatever interior goop has settled and it goes back to normal immediately.
  • The hinge tension is not very stiff, more like "thick honey". It's just enough to have it hold its place when using them, but still easy to make micro adjustments (which I find useful given the smaller EP of the 10x32 format). The 8x42 EDG that I have has much stiffer hinge tension (almost too stiff for my tastes). I do have the proper spanner wrench tool to tighten the tension a bit if desired.

Last edited:
Paul, I don’t think you read the members post these were previously owned by Eitan he purchased them as a demo, used them one year which included a trip to Mexico sold them on eBay for $900 as used to Msarif.

Standard EDG FAQ:
  • There is some slight loosening/separation of the rubber armor in a few places (common with EDG and older HG Nikons) but it's minimal. For the most part the rubber is still tight and well secured, and there is zero deterioration otherwise.
  • The focus knob is of course smooth and well damped, slightly more resistance than an 8x42 EDG that I have as well currently. When the binoculars haven't been used in a bit the knob feels a bit extra tight, but turning it back and forth unsticks whatever interior goop has settled and it goes back to normal immediately.
  • The hinge tension is not very stiff, more like "thick honey". It's just enough to have it hold its place when using them, but still easy to make micro adjustments (which I find useful given the smaller EP of the 10x32 format). The 8x42 EDG that I have has much stiffer hinge tension (almost too stiff for my tastes). I do have the proper spanner wrench tool to tighten the tension a bit if desired.
Are we absolutely sure they are the same ones he’s selling from EBay? It’s a very misleading add if that is the case. I think if something was used for a year there will lots of evidence and that would not be as described.

Are we absolutely sure they are the same ones he’s selling from EBay? It’s a very misleading add if that is the case. I think if something was used for a year there will lots of evidence and that would not be as described.
Yes the serial numbers match.

1st Pic from Msarif eBay listing
52024F9B-BB0B-49F5-BF45-368E2A98F838.jpeg
2nd pic from Eitan birdforum listing March 2021

Attachments

• D9C6A05F-1FF2-4CB8-96B5-980DCDD7256A.jpeg
    D9C6A05F-1FF2-4CB8-96B5-980DCDD7256A.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Paul,

I previously had the EDG II 10x42 and it was fantastic. It and the Noctivid had the best color saturation and contrast of any binocular to my eyes. But at the end of the day I still prefer the Zeiss SF over all else as of now mainly because of the superior (my opinion) ergonomics and weight balance (even in comparison to the NL). However, I keep dreaming of a Leica Perger Porro with no electronics, then all bets are off…

While you are thinking about the EDG line I do also want to throw another something out there. I recently bought a “new” old stock EDG spotting scope. I planned to try it out and then eventually sell it. I like it so much that I am doing what I had previously thought was unthinkable, I am selling my Swarovski ATX spotting scope to keep it.

While scopes and binos are apples to…bananas, my point is you will undoubtedly be extremely pleased with the EDG line of optics.
Thank you for the info on the EDG and the seller on eBay. Much appreciated, I don’t like to waste peoples time.

Do you know Is there any downside to buying the gray market brand new stock from Japan?

Thank you
Paul

Paul, I don’t think you read Netheros post these were previously owned by Eitan he purchased them as a demo, used them one year which included a trip to Mexico sold them on eBay for $900 as used to Msarif.

Standard EDG FAQ:
I didn’t see that post.

Small exit pupil is always a big issue for me. I guess our eyes/brains are different. I hate finnicky eye placement. I find it very annoying.
Actually it's probably because I wear glasses so I have no direct contact with my face to align the e/p with.
Do you wear glasses Dennis?

Best wishes
No. I find these new baby alphas like the SF 10x32 and NL 10x32 to have easy placement even though the exit pupil is only 3.2 mm. I notice no big difference between them and a 8x32 or even an 8x42. I find 32 mm binoculars the sweet spot for birding anymore. 30 mm is too small, and 42 mm is unnecessarily big. Of course, I think the alphas are better for eye placement anyway versus a less expensive binocular. The SF 10x32, NL 10x32 and the EDG 10x32 are superb birding binoculars. They are light in weight, small and compact and very bright in most situations with that extra reach and detail of a 10x and the eye placement is very easy. Not all 10x32's are like these three, though.

Last edited:
But those are NL’s😜
Probably, but I had no trouble with eye placement when I had the Nikon EDG 10x32's either, and they were very bright. The transmission on the EDG's is 89% which is about the same as the NL, so they should be as bright given the same aperture. Almost every alpha 10x32 I have tried, which has been pretty much all of them, have been excellent for eye placement and brightness. If you buy a cheap 10x32, that is another story!

Last edited:
I didn’t see that post.
I didn't either. I was just going by the NIB description on eBay, which means new. If they are not as described just get your money back or if he hasn't shipped them just cancel them if you have a suspicion they are used. You even have proof to substantiate your claim. Msarif has 100% feedback, so you shouldn't have any problems dealing with him.

I didn't either. I was just going by the NIB description on eBay, which means new. If they are not as described just get your money back or if he hasn't shipped them just cancel them if you have a suspicion they are used. You even have proof to substantiate your claim. Msarif has 100% feedback, so you shouldn't have any problems dealing with him.
Thank You.

Yes those are (were) my binoculars, I can confirm it’s my old pair. msarif bought them from me off eBay and is now trying to flip them. I had been waiting for them to show back up for sale after he bought them, looks like the game is to wait until the item he bought is no longer visible in the completed listings so someone casually looking at eBay won’t realize it’s a flip.

I never EVER believe “open box” condition on eBay and most of the time you can assume any item is in worse than it is described. Not every seller is as forthright as me about over-stating the flaws for transparency. People like msarif and our very own local clown Dennis love to deceptively abuse this and sell clean used items as “open box” on eBay. I’ve seen Dennis do this tons of times, he brags about trying out a binocular on this forum and then boom there it is on eBay as “open box”. Because Dennis isn’t anywhere near as smart or clever as he seems to think he is, he probably thinks people won’t notice.

Also…. People are WAAAAAAAY overpricing the EDG on eBay. Most of those used listings have sat there for months if not years. You’d be insane to pay $2000 or even $1500 for one these days. A lot of the business strategy on eBay seems to be “Hope I find a sucker!” And then the item sits there for years unsold…. It’s sort of tragicomic to watch. There’s this other seller lozack-g who’s far worse than msarif, he sells used stuff that is way overpriced and the inventory sits forever. Not the sharpest businessman.

Anyway, the EDG are absolutely fabulous binoculars and sold for over $2k when new, but they have been discontinued for years and will have dubious warranty support from Nikon. You might send one in for repairs and they say “sorry we don’t have the replacement part …. guess what here’s a Monarch MHG to replace it”. That’s assuming you even get any warranty support, which I would not assume when buying off eBay unless it’s a brand that’s known to take care of people like Swarovski or Meopta.

Last edited:
Just for clarity (because they were indeed mine) they were very lightly used. I was the first owner, I found them as new old stock from a Nikon sports optic dealer who had cleaned out his garage. In other words an ACTUAL open box / demo situation ;)

Because I had several other pairs I’d only use them when I wanted the light weight + high mag combo. I even brought a second backup pair on that Mexico trip (GPO 8x32) and I had the EDG stored in a hard case in my suitcase when not in use. I’d only pull out the EDG for “serious birding” and carried the GPO as my casual use pair when walking around the city or whatever.

So they only were out of the box for less than a year, and probably only left my house for use in the field <20 times outside of the MX trip. They for sure are no longer “open box” in any meaningful sense of the worse but they are in 9/10 condition at worst.

wingsupply.com aka fieldsupply.com had refurbished Nikon EDG 10x32 listed on their website for $999

The 10x32 is not a popular format they were listed there for the longest time @ $999

Current prices are high = reflection of supply and demand

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back