• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Nikon EDG (1 Viewer)

Paultricounty

United States
Have an interest in the Nikon EDG line. Can anyone tell me if there is a sweet spot in the line? Is there one that stands out as the best all around. I have no preference or need for any specific magnification or objective size.

Just want the most wow factor.

Also is there a preference for the first or second generation ?

Thank you
Paul

Have an interest in the Nikon EDG line. Can anyone tell me if there is a sweet spot in the line? Is there one that stands out as the best all around. I have no preference or need for any specific magnification or objective size.

Thank you
Paul
I have tried all the EDG's and the 2nd generation is definitely better. I found the 10x42 to have the most wow factor, largely because it has the biggest AFOV of about 65 degrees.

Thank you
Paul
Paul,

I previously had the EDG II 10x42 and it was fantastic. It and the Noctivid had the best color saturation and contrast of any binocular to my eyes. But at the end of the day I still prefer the Zeiss SF over all else as of now mainly because of the superior (my opinion) ergonomics and weight balance (even in comparison to the NL). However, I keep dreaming of a Leica Perger Porro with no electronics, then all bets are off…

While you are thinking about the EDG line I do also want to throw another something out there. I recently bought a “new” old stock EDG spotting scope. I planned to try it out and then eventually sell it. I like it so much that I am doing what I had previously thought was unthinkable, I am selling my Swarovski ATX spotting scope to keep it.

While scopes and binos are apples to…bananas, my point is you will undoubtedly be extremely pleased with the EDG line of optics.

Swfa.com has a brand new 10x42 in Stock Nikon 10x42 EDG Binocular
Thx Zzzzzz, $2000, ouch. I see a lot of these on a few different websites. That’s why I was wondering if there is a clear preference for a specific size and magnification.
Paul
It's all old stock Nikon USA has discontinued the EDG might be worth calling around.

Nikon Authorized dealer list 2022 https://cdn-6.nikon-cdn.com/where-to-buy/nikon_img_auth_dealers.pdf
There are quite a few of them brand new on eBay.

The new ones on eBay are Japanese grey market imports and they are going for $1750 so $2000 from an US dealer isn’t that far off.

I did not see SWFA on the updated 2022 US Nikon Authorized Dealer list (Nikon recently dropped all dealers that sell hunting gear eg. riflescopes)

Thank you
Paul

Paul I have only tried/own the EDG II in 7x42 and 10x32 , my two favorite formats. Both are outstanding IMO. No connection or interest, but I would encourage any enthusiast to arrange to try an EDG.

Mike

I have experience with both the 10x42 and the 8x32. They are both very good, but I found the 8x32 did not handle stray or
direct lighting as well as the 8x32 SE. That would be the only thing I found lacking. The SE is of course top shelf, and we do not
hear much about the model lately. It still excels.
I have had the 10x42 EDG since they were introduced in 2009, it is a solid binocular, just look at the Allbinos review, it was #1, in their rankings
for several years.
Jerry

Wow Msarif has flipped 1100+ items on eBay
That sounds like a good
Did you buy the Nikon EDG II 10x32 on eBay? I noticed they sold.
Did you buy the Nikon EDG II 10x32 on eBay? I noticed they sold.
You did tell me to buy them, didn’t you? 🤔

Im not sure about 10x32’s, Small exit pupal , eye position, but I’ll give them a whirl. The price seemed good if there as described. Thank you 🙏🏼

Paul

That sounds like a good

You did tell me to buy them, didn’t you? 🤔

Im not sure about 10x32’s, Small exit pupal , eye position, but I’ll give them a whirl. The price seemed good if there as described. Thank you 🙏🏼

Paul
Just FYI while Mr. Arif states they are “open box”, be aware they are the exact pair that Eitan sold (and used) a while ago.

The serial number is a match.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back