• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best sub £1000 10x42 binocular (1 Viewer)

Allen

Appreciate that 'best' is subjective and personal which I know will become apparent with responses! But was wondering what 10x42 people rate in this bracket?

My vote would go for the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, and a close 2nd place would be the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42, but it depends on what is important to you. Here are their Allbinos reviews.

Last edited:
I found myself most drawn to the Opticron Aurora BGA VHD, my dodgy old eyes perceived them to be optically a cut above everything else sub £1,000 that I tried, and they felt like they had excellent build quality (made in Japan).

The two contenders I didn't try were the GPO Passion HD and the Kite Lynx HD+.

If you don't mind porros the Habicht 10x40 W GA is a little under £1000. You won't find brighter 10x binoculars for less, almost CA free, very large and sharp central spot, lighter than most but rugged and waterproof... but some glasses wearers won't find the eye relief long enough and the focus wheel has long travel and takes a bit of usage to loosen up.

I am very satisfied with my GPO Passion HD 10x42. Impressive build, nice eyecups, silky smooth focuser and a really nice view. A tad heavy though. If weight has priority I would check out Habicht 10x40 W and Nikon Monarch HG.

This was actually why I started the thread! I love the Conquest HD 8x32 but am currently trying a Conquest HD 10x42 and not as impressed with the image quality hence my question.
What is it that you don't like about the Conquest HD 10x42 compared to the 8x32? If you want a lighter, more compact 10x42, the Nikon Monarch HG at 24 oz. would be a good choice. It is one of the lighter 42 mm binoculars. The Habicht 10x40 W GA is light also at about 24 oz. and it is excellent optically with the 3D porro view, but make sure you try the focuser. It is quite tight for a lot of people and can be difficult to use when you have to focus a lot following fast moving birds. You might be able to find some of the older alpha's on the used market for that price also like the EL, EDG or FL is you look around and have patience.

Last edited:
Today I was looking at long distance at two ravens through my Habicht 10x42 GA and im still very impressed by this bino.
For 1000 pound you can find some really nice used binoculars, that's what I would do.

Opticron Aurora.

I have nothing but good things to say about mine. Punches way way way above its price point. Colours are delicious, rich but absolutely true to life. Glare control in strong light is stellar, absolutely stellar and you have to get DANGEROUSLY close to the sun to get any problems.

As for CA? All I can say is in the centre it is zero.

Oh, and the diopter? Centre pull out, set, push back in and stays where it is set, and goes back in with a firm click. Set and forget.

Then we get to how light they are. For a full sized bin at 730g? I'll take that thank you very much.

Hi,

former alphas can be had for 1000 quid with some luck... Zeiss HT and FL, Leica Ultravid and Swaro EL series would be sth to look for... or if you fancy porro, the "best 10x42 pair money can buy" as better view desired of old called the Nikon SE 10x42 back in the days... if you can score a good one for 600-700 quid that will give alpha like views but not waterproof.

Joachim

You have the Leica HD 10X42, which is a fine 10X42, was the weight an issue?
So I moved from my long standing Leica HD 10x42 to Swarovski EL FP 10x42 last year. I kept the Leica's as back up pair but now find the focus is 'sticky' and not smooth enough for my liking even having been serviced at East Coast Bin Repairs. So as you'll see from Classifieds intended to sell them and maybe purchase a different back up pair. That said, I just viewed throught them again and the image is great...damn the focus wheel!!!!

What is it that you don't like about the Conquest HD 10x42 compared to the 8x32? If you want a lighter, more compact 10x42, the Nikon Monarch HG at 24 oz. would be a good choice. It is one of the lighter 42 mm binoculars. The Habicht 10x40 W GA is light also at about 24 oz. and it is excellent optically with the 3D porro view, but make sure you try the focuser. It is quite tight for a lot of people and can be difficult to use when you have to focus a lot following fast moving birds. You might be able to find some of the older alpha's on the used market for that price also like the EL, EDG or FL is you look around and have patience.
The image in the 10x42 did not have the ease of view/crispness that came so easily with the 8x32. It was more 'work' to get things in focus compared to my other 10x42's mentioned in this thread.

I didn't approach Leica as assumed they would be well out of warranty (it's so long ago that I bought them that I cannot even remember !) but maybe I will do and see what they say/suggest

Opticron Aurora.

I have nothing but good things to say about mine. Punches way way way above its price point. Colours are delicious, rich but absolutely true to life. Glare control in strong light is stellar, absolutely stellar and you have to get DANGEROUSLY close to the sun to get any problems.

As for CA? All I can say is in the centre it is zero.

Oh, and the diopter? Centre pull out, set, push back in and stays where it is set, and goes back in with a firm click. Set and forget.

Then we get to how light they are. For a full sized bin at 730g? I'll take that thank you very much.
I'm tempted by these myself. Have you compared them to Nikon Monarch HG's? I find the HG's lack a bit in.. something compared to the very best, transparency maybe, though they are very sharp and contrasty.

The image in the 10x42 did not have the ease of view/crispness that came so easily with the 8x32. It was more 'work' to get things in focus compared to my other 10x42's mentioned in this thread.
Yes, I know what you mean. A 10x will often times not seem as crisp because the images are bigger and won't seem as sharp, and the 10x will probably be harder to get things in focus compared to the 8x because the 8x has better DOF. The Nikon HG 10x42 has a very crisp, contrasty view that you might like. I would try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back