• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better 8x56 binoculars at ~$1,000USD? (1 Viewer)

Many, many years ago, they used to throw rifle scopes into warm water, and if they saw bubbles that resulted in a verdict of "Not sealed well".

I can't remember how they defined and standardized "warm" but they did have some kind of defined temperature for the water.

135 F would be a guess dredged up from deep within an old and faulty memory.

Last edited:
Not a fan of 'marine straps', they are seriously bulky.
Also, in the example I used. the individual segments were made of impermeable plastic surrounding a hard foam, so the strap was really sweaty in short order.
There may be a decently designed marine strap out there, but I've yet to find one.

Not a fan of 'marine straps', they are seriously bulky.
Also, in the example I used. the individual segments were made of impermeable plastic surrounding a hard foam, so the strap was really sweaty in short order.
There may be a decently designed marine strap out there, but I've yet to find one.
It sounds like old 'kapok' life preservers I hated so much.

Newer floating straps with flexible foam really work much better and are worth a try. No hot spots and flexibility mean they distribute weight much better and aren't nearly as bulky either. While I haven't used them recently for bins, other products have proven them to be very comfy though, they can be a bit sweaty in humid environments like the seashore.

Optics Planet ShadowQuest

My Steiner ShadowQuest 8x56 binoculars arrived today. Under overcast local skies, I am impressed with the brightness. The eyebox position is a bit difficult like it is with my recently acquired Leica NV bins so, I'm thinking it might be a problem with my progressive prescription eyeglasses.

I may try to dark adapt my eyes and give them a whirl under darkened nighttime skies tonight. So far, I'm thinking these are a real bargain for 8x56 bins at the price I paid and the image quality and brightness they have.

"and it is much easier to make a Porro binocular totally waterproof using individual focusing."

Please illuminate me with an authenticated example of this occurence. Perhaps a trifle fanciful?
I've only seen a figure or report of 20 minutes at around 1 metre in regard of a similar "waterproof" porro prism.

Cheers.
Here is an interesting review on a Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50 by a fellow who can confirm they are waterproof!

"Yes they are waterproof!

by Marc, Verified Owner from NC, United States Written on November 8, 2016

I first bought my Fujinon Polaris Binoculars over 30 years ago. Yes they are the same as today. While boating near Charlotte Harbor, trying to help a sail boat that had run aground. My 22' Aquasport was submerged after being dragged by the very large sailboat. My Fujinons were under salt water for three days before I was able to get my boat recovered. Since these were the finest binoculars I had ever had I sent them back to Fujinon for repair. I received them back with new rubber exterior within 10 days with a letter that said that there was nothing wrong with them except the covering which had been scarred during the accident, so they put on new rubber and sent them back, and I used them another few years till I left them at a ball game watching my grandson. I tried MANY others, but none would give the visual picture offered by my FMTR-SX 7x50's. So I bought a new pair from OpticsPlanet which are the same fantastic binocular gas-filled rubber coated binoculars I lost and missed so much. Their price was the best I could find and the service was excellent. I am in the NC mountains now and the mountains views are wonderful with my new ones.
Marc Sharp at Boca Grande, FL, now Franklin NC. These are a Must-Have!!"

A quick update in the Bargain Bins thread with my new Steiner ShadowQuest bins.

https://www.birdforum.net/threads/binocular-bargains.124267/page-210#post-4142164
Actually I am finding the wider Porros are easier to hold than the narrower roofs. The Shadowquest 8x56 are really an easy binocular to use. Just pop them up to your eyes and view. No focusing or setting the eye cups like on a roof. They have the best fitting objective covers I have ever seen also. It is funny all the manufacturers can't make them fit like the Steiner's.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back