• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better 8x56 binoculars at ~$1,000USD? (1 Viewer)

sidpost,

If you find the Shadowquest 8x56 to be too big and bulky around your neck while using the regular strap provided by Steiner I recommend you try using their floating strap (big padded strap designed for marine use). While the strap is on the expensive side I think it really alleviates pressure and distributes the weight of these binoculars quite well.
Yes, I've got my eye on the Vero Vellini floating strap which is ~$20. I plan on using a harness though for normal carry.

Assuming it uses proprietary clips, moving them from the old strap to a new one like the Vero Vellini won't be that hard with modest sewing skills.

Assuming it uses proprietary clips, moving them from the old strap to a new one like the Vero Vellini won't be that hard with modest sewing skills.
Please see my attached photos. You should receive a newer strap like the one still in packaging that I have. You can simply slide the clip portion off and use it.

This can be seen with my Peregrine XP’s that I use in a harness.

It should then clip in quite easily.

930E94DE-61FC-4B0D-9407-43DA1FB10536.jpeg

Otherwise those little proprietary clips are something like $15 for two. Still cheaper than $50+ for the Steiner floating strap...

A75BA691-BDF7-4085-AD2E-8A6FF097E098.jpeg992F9D34-3B1D-48D4-92BB-15AFD97C5450.jpeg

Please see my attached photos. You should receive a newer strap like the one still in packaging that I have. You can simply slide the clip portion off and use it.

View attachment 1366124

Otherwise those little proprietary clips are something like $15 for two. Still cheaper than $50+ for the Steiner floating strap...

View attachment 1366123View attachment 1366125
Thank you! I was expecting to resew them but, it looks like it will be super easy to move them to a different neck strap.

View attachment 1366124

View attachment 1366123View attachment 1366125
That strap looks HUGE! It must be comfortable. it looks like it could float a man!

I have a HG Minox 8x56 and have been very happy with it....no longer in production but you can still find a new one now and then ....and like new pre-owned also......

Actually, one could demand own efforts before opening a Thred? On the other hand, experienced people don't feel like answering ...
Obviously and evidently there are at least three times a week the same request from people who can't read older threads. I know myself that I write like a teacher. That is intentional. Goodbye from me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I get your point. Yes, some people either don't search or have a faulty search so, end up asking a redundant question.

Regarding experienced users responding to a specific request, that can be either 'hit or miss'. Some experienced users are very opinionated and a bit off-putting to new members so, they may be ignored or undervalued. Others may grow tired of reposting similar content in different contexts and simply don't respond.

I do appreciate the comments I have gotten regarding my bin searches. And, yes I did try searching first with differing results depending on the topic and how I structured the search.

Can you ask that in a different way, please? I have absolutely no idea what you are asking, or why you seem so annoyed.
In professional forums, where people are looking for real help (and not small talk about what they know themselves), "own contributions" of the TO are required, so that there is help for self-help. Professional helpers have a limited lifespan and may therefore also expect the questioner's own efforts. I know that everybody asks here and everybody answers. That is a difference to professional forums.
I also know that I am "teacher-like". This is intentional, so I write a lot of text with hopefully understandable reasons.
I am not only here on the road and therefore probably make more claims than others. Please understand.
Some "likes" I will therefore never understand.

Last edited:
I have been using the Steiner Shadowquest 8x56 for a few weeks now, and I continue to be impressed with it. It is overall the best 8x56 I have tried, and I have used the Zeiss 8x56 FL, Zeiss HT 8x54, Swarovski SLC 8x56, Meopta Meostar 8x56, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56, Minox HG 8x56 and the Zeiss Dialyt B/GAT 8x56. The Steiner Shadowquest is the brightest binocular in low light I have ever used due to its 95% transmission. I really prefer the 3D view of the Porro design over the 8x56 roofs also. The IF focusing is actually quite easy to use, and it is not the handicap that some think it is. I think you actually get a more precise focus with it than a center focus, and it is much easier to make a Porro binocular totally waterproof using individual focusing. Individual Focusing Porro binoculars have sat on the bottom of the ocean for days without any ill effects! The even field illumination of the Porro versus a roof is very obvious in the Shadowquest with the whole FOV being bright to the edge, whereas, a roof will fall off in brightness. It is amazing you can buy a 8x56 binocular for $700 that actually kills the $2500 alpha roof 8x56's.

Yes, I think "IF" focus is vastly overlooked by a lot of users. It is easy to use for NORMAL binocular viewing. I think people are biased to expect focus adjustment from SLR cameras and similar things though, modern cellphone cameras are starting to change this perception along with the now obsolete 'point and shoot' cameras.

IF focus doesn't seem to make much sense with ROOF prism bins due to their design so, this also leads us to Porro bins. With their simpler construction, whether it is waterproofness or better light transmission, Porros have a real advantage here as well.

So, if you can get past the size and weight issues, or general 'bulk', a modestly priced set of 'good' Porro bins is worth consideration for most uses.

I won't argue that replacing my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x33's with a set of Steiner 8x30's is a reasonable thing to do but, I could see trading my Leice NV's for a set of Steiner's for a lot of my uses.

With a cost differential of 5 to 15 times in most cases, I think most users would be well served to spend their modest budgets on superior Porro bins instead of mediocre Roof bins.

Other than less GROSS PROFIT, there is no reason why the great ALPHA's couldn't build a really great Porro option for a 1/3 the cost. Unfortunately, other than marine and military uses, most users totally ignore Porro bin options. And a quick shout out to the Astro users with those monster bins! (y)

Individual Focusing Porro binoculars have sat on the bottom of the ocean for days without any ill effects!
"and it is much easier to make a Porro binocular totally waterproof using individual focusing."

Please illuminate me with an authenticated example of this occurence. Perhaps a trifle fanciful?
I've only seen a figure or report of 20 minutes at around 1 metre in regard of a similar "waterproof" porro prism.

Cheers.

" To be “water-proof” it implies water cannot enter, however, this statement is not qualified and something that is water-proof at normal atmospheric pressures at sea level, for example, may not be when the pressure increases (or indeed decreases). So a binocular that is marketed as being fully water-proof should qualify this by explaining just how waterproof they are, such as to a given depth of immersion and or for a specified period of time. However whilst they may have to demonstrate this to a standards board, it is not always displayed within their marketing material.
But even they don’t quantify it, we can assume that a waterproof device can be fully immersed under a little water for a short period of time, which should cover most reasonable uses for a standard bin. "

Copied from BBR........ best binocular review.

I guess that the principle that these are "O" ring sealed and IF leads to one assuming they have a reasonable resistance to moisture ingress. Perhaps someone can request the submergence and pressure test results from Steiner but I have little faith these figures will be forthcoming. The 8 x 56 certainly look the part.

Last edited:
Can binoculars be built to withstand huge pressure changes due to being submerged at ocean depths or on top of a mountain? Sure! :)

Now, do I want to deal with the weight and bulk of a set of bins rated for Mount Everest and the Mariana Trench? o_O

Then there is the cost or, cost versus benefit considerations. If you can afford the Nikon WX 7x50 IF bins, then uber-expensive waterproofness expense probably isn't an issue for you and you likely have 'porters' to lug your bins around.

Realistically, like my watches, to the bottom of the bathtub is more realistic! Add the deep end of a swimming pool and I think most of us will be well covered. Now, this doesn't play well with my WALTER MITTY fantasies but, sometimes I need to come back to reality! :ROFLMAO:

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back