• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beyerdynamic headphones (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Hi all
I am considering an upgrade in the headphones I use for active recording of bird sounds. I have read praises about two Beyerdynamic models the DT770 (closed) and the DT990 (semi open). Both lie in the same class of quality and price more or less.
I was wondering if someone has personal experience with one of these models and can help me with suggestions.
Thank you

Last edited:
Saxatilis,

the DT770 is a beautiful piece of technology, comfortable to wear and with a very balanced sound.

I have been using these headphones myself for some time, but only to evaluate the unprocessed recordings.

For recordings in the field I can only recommend closed headphones if e.g. multi-channel soundscapes are to be created or if the direction of your sound source doesn't change.

When working with a shot gun mic, and especially with a parabolic dish, I don't use hp at all in most cases. The movement of a bird can be tracked quickly and correctly with your own ears only and the mic can be readjusted in real time then.

Cheers,

Vollmeise

When working with a shot gun mic, and especially with a parabolic dish, I don't use hp at all in most cases. The movement of a bird can be tracked quickly and correctly with your own ears only and the mic can be readjusted in real time then.

Cheers,

Vollmeise
Interesting as I too experienced that follwing a bird with your ears is much easier than with hp and parabolic dish, any other opinion on that idea?

I bought an Audio technica ATH-M40x for the parabolic dish but I don't like it for this purpose, I have also tried in-ear headphones using both ears and only one and don't like it either. For a short period of time is ok and if I have to choose one metod I would use only one ear with the headphone and the other free, this way I know were the sounds come from.

What I do like is listening with my ears and check the recording levels to aim the parabolic dish correctly.

Another thing I find very useful is to check the spectrogram (birdnet), not for aiming the parabolic dish but for bird ID.

Last edited:
I have a one of the over-ear Beyerdynamic models (DT150?). They are robust and practical, and seem well supported by available spares. As an example I was a bit upset that after a few years the plastic ear muffs started to go tacky and disintegrate - every time I put them on it was unpleasant and I ended up covered in black specs - absolutely awful if I had a bit of stubble and hung them round my neck between recordings. A quick search and I found that a variety of replacement options were available, including a much more comfortable (and so far durable) fabric version. A pair of posh Bose headphones that I got for listening to music, proved far less durable - the headband eventually wore thin and according to Bose could not be replaced as the wiring is incorporated in the headband - you don't say!. My chunky, robust (and somewhat Cyberman-esk) Beyerdynamics, have a detachable head band cover!

I would therefore recommend the make, if not necessarily the model!

Regarding monitoring recordings, I can see the issue that open headphones may create feedback. I also find that if I am recording something quiet, it is nice to shut out other sound and focus just on the recording.

Regards

Jon Bryant

Saxatilis,

the DT770 is a beautiful piece of technology, comfortable to wear and with a very balanced sound.

I have been using these headphones myself for some time, but only to evaluate the unprocessed recordings.

For recordings in the field I can only recommend closed headphones if e.g. multi-channel soundscapes are to be created or if the direction of your sound source doesn't change.

Cheers,

Vollmeise
Thank you all and Vollmeise for answering.
What kind of headphone impedance did you have, Vollmeise, when you were using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 for bird recording? 32 or 80 ohms?
I am a little in doubt as to which model to choose between the 32 or 80 Ω ones. The gear I currently use is a Tascam DR 100 MKIII and a Sony PCM M10 with parabolic microphones.

Saxatilis,

I own the 80 Ohm (studio) version. The low / mid / high impedance headphone variants will lead to different volume levels.

Last edited:
Saxatilis,

I own the 80 Ohm (studio) version. The low / mid / high impedance headphone variants will lead to different volume levels.
Thank you Vollmeise.
The 80 Ohm model (the Studio version not the Monitor) is the one that actually interests me the most.

I’ve really read all kinds of opinions about this topic, but it seems to me that this 80 Ω variant may be fine for portable recorders like ours.

Cheers,
Monticola

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back