• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Garden Birdwatch 2021 (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker

Just a reminder that this takes place from Friday 29th - Sunday 31st January 2021.

Time to make sure feeders are topped up! :)

Looking forward reading everyone's results. I'm going to be doing my Big Garden Birdwatch tomorrow because it's going to be dry as. Joh of today it's going to be wet.

I look forward to this every year! :)
Unfortunately, the weather was terrible yesterday morning and it is again now, so I postpone it again. The forecast for tomorrow morning looks OK!

Mine and Max’s list from this morning. All in the garden or over. Suspect we underestimated Blue Tits, Great Tits and Chaffinches.

Attachments

• 58634918-1B9D-4331-BE76-B16DD224DCC8.jpeg
    58634918-1B9D-4331-BE76-B16DD224DCC8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
Rich - I thought the birds had to land in the garden, not fly overs?

From the RSPB site -

Tell us what you see
Count the birds you see in your garden or from your balcony*. Ignore any birds that are still in flight. To avoid double-counting, just record the highest number of each bird species you see at any one time – not a running total.

And that’s me completed my Big Garden Birdwatch 2021. It was a good Birdwatch my results this year are
5 Robin
2 Blackbird
1 Coal Tit
4 Long Tailed Tit (added bonus)
7 Blue Tit
22 Goldfinch
10 Chaffinch
1 House Sparrow
2 Greenfinch
1 Great Tit
2 Woodpigeon

I also had a Red Kite low over the garden yesterday when I did my count but not counted. Had a modest 12 species in my west London suburbs garden with:

3 Wood Pigeon
3 Ring-necked Parakeet
1 Blackbird
3 Robin
2 Dunnock
2 Blue Tit
2 Great Tit
5 Starling
1 Crow
1 Magpie
3 Goldfinch
15 House Sparrow

Completed my count this morning.
Chilterns location, living in Woodland

All on feeders, on ground, or perched in trees

1 Muntjac
1 Stock Dove
3 Wood pigeon
2 Carrion Crow
1 Magpie
1 Jay
5 Blue tit (underestimated)
2 Coal tit
1 Marsh tit (usually up to 4)
3 Great tit (usually many more)
1 Long tailed tit (usually up to 6)
4 Blackbird
4 Robin
4 Pheasant
8 Chaffinch
2 Dunnock
1 Wren
1 Goldfinch (usually up to 6)
1 Nuthatch
1 Great-spotted Woodpecker
3 Red Kites (perched in trees)

Regulars not seen this morning include Roe Deer, Common Buzzard (perched in tree yesterday!), 6-12 grey squirrels, and occasionally goldcrest and treecreeper

Last edited:
Weather was poor yesterday so glad today was brighter and drier to take part.

32 House Sparrow
4 Blackbird
5 Blue Tit
1 Great Tit
2 Dunnock
2 Robin
2 Collared Dove
1 Magpie
2 Woodpigeon
2 Goldfinch
1 Wren

Only just the last species before the hour ended. No Chaffinch - the first time ever I've not had one on the BGBW; they have been very scarce all winter. The House Sparrow count is the highest I've ever had in the garden - the colony has been doing well and building up.

Gi

Attachments

• Blackbird_BGBW.jpg
    Blackbird_BGBW.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 1
  • Robin_BGBW.jpg
    Robin_BGBW.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 1
  • House Sparrow_BGBW.jpg
    House Sparrow_BGBW.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Blue Tit_BGBW.jpg
    Blue Tit_BGBW.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
3 blackbird
3 blue tit
2 chaffinch
2 dunnock
1 great tit
2 jackdaw
3 pheasant (1 male, 2 female)
1 red kite
2 robin
5 rooks
1 thrush
4 wood pigeon

5 red kite circling low over the garden - not counted

I am envious of those with large numbers of one species and lots of different species! How do you do it?! Every year on Birdwatch weekend, we get far fewer visitors than normal. :cry:

Aviemore

30 Chaffinches, at least
1 Collared Dove
2 Goldfinch
2 Robin
3 Blackbird
2 House Sparrow
1 Coal Tit
1 Blue Tit
1 Siskin

The temperature at the start was minus 3.7C and there were fewer Goldfinches and Siskins than normal. Earlier in the week we had a Redpoll and a Brambling, which we've had on previous garden birdwatches.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back