• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Increase in National Park Entrance Fees (1 Viewer)

Have just found out that there is a planned 150% increase in entrance fees at some national parks in Thailand. Increases are only for grade A national parks which include Doi Inthanon, Khao Yai and Keang Krachan.

From November 2012 costs for non Thais will increase from 200THB to 500THB for adults!!! and 300THB for children, fees for Thais will also increase to 100THB.

It may be that these plans will be put on hold until Jan 2013 or beyond. There is also possibly a move for entrance tickets to be bought at 7 11's.

Neil

www.norfolkbirderinthailand.blogspot.com

Thank goodness I look like a Thai. As long as I keep my mouth shut, I get away with it. Just smile and wave boys...and wai too!

I get that to be equivalent of US$16.30 for the highest limit (500THB). I wonder what the cost is for US national parks these days ...

Niels

Yes it is absurd and it will be interesting to see if it has any effect on Thai people as they are affected this time too.If a party of 4 Thai people are going into a park then it is a really big increase. With "foreigners", and Hor Kee is correct, that means white folk, they had a 400 THB entry a few years ago but it was scrapped quickly as people just wouldn't pay it. I imagine the same will happen this time too. With the exception of Kaeng Krachan I get into most parks at the local rate by showing my drivers license and work ID card. At Kaeng Krachan, my wife, a "foreigner" from another Asian country goes in at the local rate and I always get stung for the foreigner rate. Now I'll pay 200 because it is worth it. So, in real terms a 100 THB entry ( under the new rate) for Khao Yai is not the end of the world and I'll pay it. But I won't pay 500 THB to enter Kaeng Krachan unless Santa Claus is there handing out gold ingots. I'd rather pay Ba Eck 200 THB to use her excellent hides at nearby Ban Song Nok and to be able to drink unlimited water and coffee.Something tells me this increase will be reversed quite quickly......I hope so.

I get that to be equivalent of US$16.30 for the highest limit (500THB). I wonder what the cost is for US national parks these days ...

Niels

Most are $20-25 (Everglades is still $10), good for 7 days and in some cases good for nearby parks (e.g. Yellowstone and Grand Teton).

Are these new fees one-time entrance fees, or are they charged per day? If one-time (or for several days/a week) then they don't seem too bad, at least from a US perspective. If that is the charge per day though, ugh! Either way it likely won't affect my plans for next year's trip, and if the extra money is used for increased conservation efforts then I won't complain.

National Park Fees

The entrance fees will be payable daily, but it is Thailand and there may be some room to negotiate. Fee's at less visited national parks will stay the same.

Suspect the increased fees will not go towards conservation, but more likely towards building new roads and ugly new visitor centers. Would not mind to much if it resulted in employing more local people and extra protection, but suspect some will end up in someones back pocket.

The entrance fees will be payable daily

To date entrance fees have been one time affairs (well, I think Doi Inthanon allowed 5 days, I haven't stayed in others forlong enough to find out) if you stay inside. Or at least the accomodation prices have included Thai-rate entrance in the cost.

Do you know if this is going to change? If not, it will make staying inside the park more economical.

I don't honestly know how easy it is for them to keep track of people once the are in the park, so I'm sure you can get away with paying once.

Was in Khao Yai NP today; entrance for adults as advertised in English on the official board was 400 THB; the same board stated in Thai admission for adults was 40 THB. My driver's licence and works ID got me in for 40 THB, no questions asked, simply produced it at the main entrance and the rangers smiled. I wish they were so obliging at Kaeng Krachan......... However the sod in the shop at Pla Gluay Campsite charged me 50 THB for 2 cans of soda; my wife went in to the same shop a couple of hours later and she was charged 30 THB for the same! I can live with this!

Was at Doi Inthanon briefly yesterday, the planned increase in Park fees was due to be implemented on Oct 1st, but has not yet been introduced and they were still charge 200THB for foreigners to enter. There was some confusion at the gate as to when entrance fees would increase, I was told Nov, maybe Jan or possibly not at all. Typically for Thailand no one could give me a straight answer.

Many tour company, shop, hotel, resort and guest house owners are very concerned the effect the planned increases will have on business and have been lobbying hard to get the increases halted.

Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back