• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big March In London (1 Viewer)

FOX HUNTING

• YES IT SHOULD BE BANNED

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • NO LET THE HUNTERS HUNT

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
Any one going? Does it affect us? is it all about fox hunting? has BLAIR got it wrong AGAIN!!! ?

discuss

steve

steve

Nothing's ever black and white.
Hunting is an emotive issue.
There's no doubt that foxes suffer during a hunt but where do you stop when attempting to ban traditional country sports?
Do you then go after fishing, falconry or mink hunts (which is a quarry that otter hunts turned to when they could no longer hunt otter)?
What happens to the beagles when they are no longer needed to hunt, do people think they get fostered out to caring homes, dream on, they're put down!!
In fact they're more likely to be killed and then fed to what's left of the pack!
What annoys me is that the people always bleeting on about banning this and that country pursuit, are townies in the main.
They know little of country life and would probably be horrified at the thought of spending a day in the countryside in the pouring rain away from their cosy little homes.
Make no mistake, a lot of the agenda behind all this is to do with votes and getting elected next time round. Don't forget, townies out-number country folk by a long way and so it's the townies vote that counts.
They seem to want to ban everything that they themselves have no idea about.
This world is not a perfect place and people need to realise that a variety and diversity of interests and pursuits is healthy and desirable as it gives life and culture to the people.
God forbid that we should all think the same and chant the same politically correct mantras each day before breakfast!!
I could comment on the governments knee-jerk reaction to the Dunblane incident, but that's another story!!

I agree that fox hunting is an emotive issue but I completely disagree with the generalisation that townies understand nothing and country folk understand everything!!! I am not a townie although I have lived in both towns and cities, my roots are in the countryside and I am currently living in a very rural area.

I understand that there needs to be a degree of control over certain species but lets not fudge the issue, hunting with dogs is not so much about culling as it is about specticle and sport for the upper middle and upper classes. A fox being torn to pieces by a pack of dogs is neither humane nor neccesary. If culling is required in my view a marksman with a rifle is more appropriate.

I abhore any activity that involves the pitting of one animal against another by mankind, be it fox hunting, cock fighting badger bating, dog fighting etc and I cannot find it within myself to condone such activities.

El Annie

I don't like to see any animal suffer, in fact I dislike fox hunting, badger baiting, the slaughter of birds on malta etc.
Of course there are some people living in towns and cities with a lot of knowledge of the countryside, but for the majority, I think it is only somewhere they have to go through to get to the next town in their car.
You just have to be careful in situations where freedom of choice is involved.
I suppose what really annoys me is the government taking a high and mighty politically correct stance on this. In my experience no British government has ever given a toss for it's own people never mind a fox! So for them to try and claim the morale high ground on this issue is, to me, hypocritical.
I'm convinced they've seen this as an opportunity to gain votes by appealing to the emotions of the majority who have little contact with country life.
I wonder what people will think of erosion of their freedom of choice if ever the goverment has the guts to tackle unrestricted car use, but then again it wouldn't, because that would be political suicide and they wouldn't like that would they.

paj (ranting on):t:

Last edited:
MARCH

Over 400,000 that's a big number!!!
I notice that the press changed there tune!!

This whole thing stems from Blair trying to curry favour, with his loony leftie party members.
I think he's made a big mistake and under estimated the country folk.

steve

....and in the words of Georgie Best:

"How can anyone approve of hunting a terrified animal to exhaustion then ripping it to shreds? "

Here, here Georgie!!

El Annie

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back