• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Morongo, S Cal, USA end of April-2 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
This was a little bird flitting around and not at all in good light. I feel it must be a Wrentit but this is not the most common bird there - Bushtit is a lot more common. And of course I can be completely off.
Niels

tit P1200872.JPGtit P1200875.JPG

Second bird is a hummer that I did not see sitting so only flight images of questionable quality. Thank you in advance for any help.
Niels
Hummer 2a P1200977.JPGHummer 2b P1200978.JPGHummer 2c P1200979.JPGHummer 2d P1200980.JPG

The Hummer looks like it could be a Black-chinned female. Pale throat and chest, little or no reddish in tail, dullish green back. I have zero experience of SoCal, though and may be others could advise better than me.

Strange thing is that female bushtit should also have pale eye and the images I have all show a dark eye. Bushtit it is.
thanks everyone!
Niels

I got a message from the ebird reviewer. A hummingbird expert had said the hummer in post 2 was a Costa's: "by shapes and patterns of rectrices, heavily worn plumage in April"
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back