• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Big Sit" Sunday October 9, 2005 (1 Viewer)

aplomado2u

Greetings All:
Maybe someone made this post already...but just in case.....

This sunday is the 13th annual "Big Sit". For those of you have never heard of it, it is a barrel of fun! It has been dubbed "birding´s most sendentary event"......here is the gist of it. You pick a location and in a circle 17 ft in diameter and you count all of the birds that you can see or hear for a 24 hour period, Starting at 12am Sunday October 9 til midnight. The rules, registration and general information can be found at the following link:

big sit information

I have participated for the last 4 years and it is a "kick"! You can approach it in ernest, or take a more laid back approach. The cool thing about the "big sit" is that it brings people together and makes them aware of just how many birds there are around them. The people at Birdwatchers Digest are doing a great job of sponsoring the event...the idea originated with the New Haven CT Birding Club.

This a worldwide event. Got for it! you can register you circle at the above link, and you might just have a good time doing it.

Good birding,

Big Sit at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge

We are doing our 2nd Annual "Big Sit" up at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge this Sunday. It was a lot of fun last year and we are looking forward to an enjoyable time this year. I have participated in one in previous years over at Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge which is about 90 miles east of where we live in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I believe we tallied on average about 65 species on these "Big Sits". If I recall correctly I think on our first go at this a Squaw Creek last year we got 45 species.

They are a lot of fun! Is anyone else on BirdForum taking part in these "Big Sits"?

Yesterday was the international "Big Sit". Various groups around the world participated in this event. Check out the website below to see "who" and "where", (just don't ask "why"?) ;)

2005 "Big Sit" of the "Eagle Eyes" circle at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri, USA.

Note the number of raptor species seen (8)!

Osprey
Pandion haliaetus

Bald Eagle Haliaeetus leucocephalus

Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus

Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii

Sharp-shinned Hawk Accipiter striatus

Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis

Merlin Falco columbarius

American Kestrel Falco sparverius

This is the web page with results of our "Big Sit"

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/funbirds/bigsit/results05/stats.php?find_type=circle&find=Eagle+Eyes

Hanno, that was a stunning report of your "Big Sit" days activities! Such a great list of birds that you recorded. Sounds like you really did have a great day afield. I believe every bird you listed would have been a "lifer" for me.

Our day's list of birds at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge seems to pale in comparison to your list. And the extraordinary numbers of the various species was awesome.

All the same, we did have an enjoyable day out and fortunately it did not rain and was not very cold. We never know quite what to expect, weather-wise, in October.

I really enjoyed reading your report, Thanks.

I am sure quite a few people were cold during their "Big sits", luckily not a problem that poses itself in Southern Vietnam:)))))

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back