• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bin too heavy? Try this. (1 Viewer)

Just tried that, but each time I rotate the focus wheel, the bandage rucks up in front of one of my eyes.

Hmm, it sounds as if you might have found a flaw in ThoLa's otherwise excellent system. You could try purchasing a simple dust mask from your local DIY store. It might just do the trick.

Ron

The answer to all our prays.

Imagine the scene, your tired, wet and cold. Not sure if it was a Mega lifer or a piece of carrier bag caught by the wind. Miles from the car, thermos empty and scope dragging you down.

Bear bot is the answer:bounce:

Available by mail order soon

P.S I really like the quote from the article "A really important thing when you're dealing with casualties is trying to maintain that human touch."

Oh, no, I've been shot. Wait a minute, I've just been rescued by a giant teddy bear. I can relax now.

You could try purchasing a simple dust mask from your local DIY store. It might just do the trick. Ron

Hi Ron.

That sounded like a great idea so I went to the local "DIY" and bought a dust mask.

It fitted comfortably over the bandage with no discomfort and I thought "Ron is a genius". However, when I rotated the focus wheel, it caught in the dust mask, which slipped sideways, exerting additional stress on the elastic that held the dust mask in place. This resulted in the elastic breaking at the back of my head. This in turn caused the loose strand of elastic to whip round and hit me squarely in the right eye.

After a second visit to the casualty department, I now have a very heavy bandage on my nose and am now wearing an eye-patch.

Hi Ron.

That sounded like a great idea so I went to the local "DIY" and bought a dust mask.

It fitted comfortably over the bandage with no discomfort and I thought "Ron is a genius". However, when I rotated the focus wheel, it caught in the dust mask, which slipped sideways, exerting additional stress on the elastic that held the dust mask in place. This resulted in the elastic breaking at the back of my head. This in turn caused the loose strand of elastic to whip round and hit me squarely in the right eye.

After a second visit to the casualty department, I now have a very heavy bandage on my nose and am now wearing an eye-patch.

Swop the bins for a monocular and all your problems are solved. Job's a good 'un.

Edit. If you could hire a Nelson fancy dress outfit you would have a nice little sideline opening village fetes. Or do they have them in Spain?

Last edited:
Swop the bins for a monocular and all your problems are solved. Job's a good 'un.

If you could hire a Nelson fancy dress outfit you would have a nice little sideline opening village fetes. Or do they have them in Spain?

Ron, you are a genius. I went out and bought a hand held monocular and guess what? No shoulder strain from heavy binoculars, so you have solved the original problem that Ronald started this thread about.

PS. I don´t think that wearing a Nelson uniform will go down very well in Spain. They still haven´t forgiven him (or us) for the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

Some neat ideas....but at what cost to personal wellbeing!!? Not to mention street, sorry, 'field' cred......maybe the answer lies in a Steadicam type device, they're not cheap, but you'll never feel the weight again and can move along through the terrain with binoculars to the eyes and a shake free image! Better not do it along piers, cliffs, canyons, etc.....

Yes, i realise that IS binoculars would stop the shakes, but until they're filled with helium, your neck's still going to take the strain.....

Little Ron's buckle seems like such an elegant solution right now....he he he

Cheers,

Mook.

PS. I am sooo going for a drink tonight!

If you really did damage yourself, John, I'm sorry and hope you're better soon, but I'm finding this thread so amusing - I'm in danger of waking Bob up with my laughing................ do persevere.

Sandra

Hi ThoLa

I have just tried the method you suggested and found a serious flaw in the system.

My 10x42´s weigh much more than my 7x42´s.

Are you sure that you tested this method before giving out this advice?

Hell! Of course I did not test this method. Would I make a fool out of myself by wearing a pair of binoculars on my back?
I would have to leave town between 2 and 3 am. And rightly so.
You did not take me seriously, did you?

I mean, this whole discussion is not serious ... or is it?

Bewildered,
Tom

well I thought it was serious ...I thought i was at the cutting edge of birdwatching fashion as i visited all the local reserves,using the stylish 'back pair' + 'bin yoke' technique's :( I almost perfected the 'back pair' swing swap ...wondered why i kept getting the hides all to myself

Well, I assumed it's serious. It all sounds perfectly reasonable to me.;)

Mind you the thought of John getting attended to twice in one day at his local casualty unit is so absurd as to defy belief. Maybe after all .....:h?:

Ron

Edit. I've just realised he was using the Spanish health system so who knows?

Last edited:
I'm starting to give up on this whole idea. I tried the " pair of binocular/swing it round the neck" and the first time I tried it they smashed against the 5 Kilo weight (should I have taken this off?)
I then tried the monocular without success-mind you I'm blind in my left eye and the only minocular they had in stock was a 'left eye' model.
I will try the dust mask and report back (if they will let me out of this ward for the day)

I'm starting to give up on this whole idea. I tried the " pair of binocular/swing it round the neck" and the first time I tried it they smashed against the 5 Kilo weight (should I have taken this off?)
I then tried the monocular without success-mind you I'm blind in my left eye and the only minocular they had in stock was a 'left eye' model.
I will try the dust mask and report back (if they will let me out of this ward for the day)

Hi David. It mght be too late now but apparently it is possible to use a 'left eye' monocular with your right eye by turning it upside down when you use it. Hope this helps.

Ron

Edit. If you could hire a Nelson fancy dress outfit you would have a nice little sideline opening village fetes. Or do they have them in Spain?

Oh, they've got 'fetes' in Spain alright. Took my placidly frugal donkey to one and they threw it off the church tower and smashed all my optics!

apparently it is possible to use a 'left eye' monocular with your right eye by turning it upside down when you use it.
Ron

Hi Ron

As it was my right eye that was injured by the wayward elastic from the dust mask, when I bought the monocular I discovered that it was a "right-eyed" model. As I now have to use my left eye because of the eye-patch, I tried turning it upside down for use with my left eye. However, all of the images also came out upside-down. This resulted in me suffering from disorientation and dizziness, culminating in me falling over and spraining my left wrist, which is now suitably strapped up, following another visit to the local casualty department.

Now I can only hold the monocular to my left eye by holding it in my right hand, which is a bit unfortunate as my wrist keeps banging against my injured nose, causing pain and discomfort. It is also hard for me to focus the monocular using just one hand. This, added to the upside-down image is hardly satisfactory. However, I have learnt from my previous experiences and now lie on the floor to use the monocular - I don´t want to fall over again.

One good thing has come out of all this and that is that the local casualty department staff are putting my name forward to the town Mayor with the idea that I be awarded a "life-long" free membership certificate of the department, which will entitle me to go to the front of all queues.

Hmm. Maybe if I keep taking advice from this particular thread a "life-time" certificate may not last very long.

To ThoLa.

Good god man. Do you mean to say that you were being light-hearted about your original suggestion? How dare you do such a thing on such a serious subject.

Hi John. It's good to hear you are making real progress now. You've had one or two set backs but as my old mother used to say "At least you've got your health."

As a side note, have you spotted any good birds lately?

Ron

Hi Ron

As it was my right eye that was injured by the wayward elastic from the dust mask, when I bought the monocular I discovered that it was a "right-eyed" model. As I now have to use my left eye because of the eye-patch, I tried turning it upside down for use with my left eye. However, all of the images also came out upside-down. This resulted in me suffering from disorientation and dizziness, culminating in me falling over and spraining my left wrist, which is now suitably strapped up, following another visit to the local casualty department.

Now I can only hold the monocular to my left eye by holding it in my right hand, which is a bit unfortunate as my wrist keeps banging against my injured nose, causing pain and discomfort. It is also hard for me to focus the monocular using just one hand. This, added to the upside-down image is hardly satisfactory. However, I have learnt from my previous experiences and now lie on the floor to use the monocular - I don´t want to fall over again.

One good thing has come out of all this and that is that the local casualty department staff are putting my name forward to the town Mayor with the idea that I be awarded a "life-long" free membership certificate of the department, which will entitle me to go to the front of all queues.

Hmm. Maybe if I keep taking advice from this particular thread a "life-time" certificate may not last very long.

:'D :'D :'D :clap: 3:) |:D| |:D|

Sandra

Hi Ron

This resulted in me suffering from disorientation and dizziness, culminating in me falling over and spraining my left wrist, which is now suitably strapped up, following another visit to the local casualty department.

Now I can only hold the monocular to my left eye by holding it in my right hand, which is a bit unfortunate as my wrist keeps banging against my injured nose, causing pain and discomfort.
Sandra

I forgot to mention that I also have only 1 arm. I work as a window cleaner and have an assistant who rings the cloth out for me. When I use the monacle I get my wife to hold it for me.
(I'll have to go now-the doctors coming!!)

I forgot to mention that I also have only 1 arm. I work as a window cleaner and have an assistant who rings the cloth out for me. When I use the monacle I get my wife to hold it for me.

It's good to hear that someone in your position is not moping about feeling sorry for yourself. The window cleaning could be the start of something good. Regard it as the first rung on the ladder to something bigger and better.

Have you thought about getting rid of your assistant and getting your wife to wring your 'chammy'. Could save you a bob or two.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ron

Please see the SCOPES section.
Contribute something to the
"Cleaning scope and bins lenses?" thread.

You have been singled out as the leading expert on the subject.
You advice is badly needed.

And scopes have only one barrel .... so one arm will be enough to clean it.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back