• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains (3 Viewers)

bh46118

Minox BD 10X44 BP on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/161434965623?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It takes true "Alpha" level glass to better these IMO. They were my gateway to higher level optics, and even though I have an SV now , I have no intention of selling my BP. I don't know if this deal is a "bargain" but if you can get them for $199 or thereabouts I just don't see how you can lose. A couple of caveats, a narrow FOV, and what my eyes see as moderate CA.

Bruce

ceasar

Cabelas website sale on Nikon ProStaff 5 10x42 Binoculars. $30.00 off. $179.99 to $149.99.

All ProStaff 5 and Prostaff 7S (including 30mm models) binoculars are marked off $30.00 on the website.

Last edited:

PhilR.

Bushnell rebate

For those in need of a bino from the low end of the price range -- Bushnell now has a $100 rebate on most models from the Ultra Legend HD line. Whether or not a $119 (or thereabouts) UL HD is a bargain is up for you to decide.....

ceasar

Free New Medium Field Bag From Filson With Any New Full Size Leica Ultravid From Camera Land

If you are young enough and would like to get a Leica binocular with a field bag that will outlast it this is your chance. I have had one of these bags for about 20 years and I know it will outlast me. It has gone with me on every trip I took in that period. Mine is tan.

Offer is good until December 31, 2014.

http://www.filson.com/luggage/field-bags/-1019/

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40292

Bob

Last edited:

Huey

I've seen a number of high swarovski and zeiss binoculars being sold on the bay cheap by sellers with zero feedback from Lithuania. I always put a watch on them out of interest and sure enough a few weeks after they sell in comes the negative feedback.

Maybe this seller is ok being in Russia but buyer beware.

[email protected]

Supporter
I've seen a number of high swarovski and zeiss binoculars being sold on the bay cheap by sellers with zero feedback from Lithuania. I always put a watch on them out of interest and sure enough a few weeks after they sell in comes the negative feedback.

Maybe this seller is ok being in Russia but buyer beware.
Yes, they went for $1050 which is a great bargain but lets watch the feedback and see if everything goes ok.

Tom Bombadil

Tender of Forests
I live in the Madison, Wisconsin area, home of Eagle Optics and Vortex. I visited a Wild Birds Unlimited today, which features EO and Vortex sports optics. They, WBU, are having a 10% off on all binoculars and spotting scopes for the month of November. Do not know if this true for all WBU stores. This is 10% off the pricing you would find on-line from Eagle Optics. Thus an Eagle Optics Ranger ED 10x42 which sells at EO for $339.99, would be $305.99 from Wild Birds. The Vortex Viper HD 8x42 is $589.99 from EO, but just $530.99 from WB.

Again, do not know if this sale is in effect at all Wild Birds Unlimited stores.

Tom Bombadil

Tender of Forests
Found a deal on a good, but not great, binocular. The Vanguard Spirit ED 8x36. Cabela's is selling them at $199. Vanguard offers a $50 rebate through 11/30/14. Cabela's has a $20 discount code good on Veteran's Day (11/11/14) on orders over $100. Don't know if this is good off of their bargain cave goods.

If so, then the final price is $129. Not bad for a mid-sized bin with ED glass. These normally sold for around $280 from many retailers. Price is only available on-line, not through Cabela's stores.

They also have the Vanguard Spirit ED 10x42 for $229 then minus the $50 Rebate and the $20 Veterans Day discount (maybe) so that would be down to $159.

Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42 is $269, minus $50 Rebate, minus $20 code (maybe) for $199. I've seen them on-line for $350.

Eagle Optics is offering the same pricing, minus the Cabela's $20 Veterans Day discount.

There's a review of the Spirit line here: http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Vanguard10x42SpiritED-71.htm

*** UPDATE *** I went onto Cabela's to order the 8x36 and the $20 coupon did work. However they have a $16.xx shipping charge. Eagle Optics offers free shipping so the net difference was less than $4.

Last edited:

SteveTS

Natchez have the Weaver Super Slam 8.5x45 on sale at $449.99, mrsp $1062.49.

Adorama $670.42
Amazon $676.99
B&H Photo $697.99

122m @ 1000m, 18.5mm ER, central dioptre, IPD lock, scratch proof lenses,
apparently cold weather tested to - 20°F (-29°C), Hoya (?) ED glass,
open bridge magnesium body, 885g, manufactured in Japan.

Here : http://www.natchezss.com/Category.c...aver 8.5X45 Super Slam Binocular Black Rubber

There is a discount code for this weekend for US customers only, ordering stock items only (excludes back orders, and cannot be used with gift certificates) :

save $15.00 on orders $150.00 and up
save $25.00 on orders $250.00 and up
save $35.00 on orders $350.00 and up

Use promo code D01411NB at checkout. Ends Sunday 16th November 2014 EST.

There are a few closeouts and you may find other binos of interest to pick and choose.

Weaver : http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/

Best wishes, and enjoy your shopping !!

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Tender of Forests
REI is having a sale on their own branded binos, through 11/23. 30% off.

These are low to medium low-end pieces. Not Alphas. Not Betas. But reasonably decent, usable binos as a car bino or travel bino.

I took a long look at a couple today from their XR line, the 8x32 and 8x25. These had multi-coated objectives and eyepieces, both inside and outside surfaces. They were reasonably sharp. There was a bit of CA but not much. I was surprised by how wide the focus sweetspots were, about 80%. FOV was narrow. Close focus was really good, just over 3' in the 8x32. Lightweight, waterproof, lightly armored. The right diopter adjustment is pretty nice, adjustable in click stops. Doesn't slide out of its setting when handling.

The REI XR 8x32 is normally $129, on sale they are just over $90. The 8x25 XR lists at $85, on sale at $59. I was very impressed at what one can get for such a low cost.

They have a higher end line, the V04, but my local REI didn't stock them. The V04 8x32 lists at $190, now $133. These are spec'ed as having dielectric coated prisms with wider FOV.

Users who are viewing this thread