• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains (4 Viewers)

John A Roberts

Australia
Hi cottonbase,

Looking at your link, the Hawke Frontier ED X seems to be Mr Big Ears of binoculars!
- the neck strap loops seem to stick out much more than most, so perhaps a problem for some depending on their hold

John

Attachments

• Mr Big Ears?.jpg
    Mr Big Ears?.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 2

cottonbase

Hi cottonbase,

Looking at your link, the Hawke Frontier ED X seems to be Mr Big Ears of binoculars!
- the neck strap loops seem to stick out much more than most, so perhaps a problem for some depending on their hold

John
I'm sure you're right. Some will really "struggle" :/

From reading this forum, people seem to find fault with every single binocular that has ever been made.
It's in good company.

If that's the only issue they have with it, they're in for many enjoyable years of use. Mine is superb. Purchasers seem well satisfied, even at £369+.

Attachments

• Mrs Big Ears?.png
    Mrs Big Ears?.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Loud Green Man

Swarovski Habicht 7X42GA

You can pick them up new in the UK for as low as £745. Esoteric in construction and limited FOV they may be but image quality for the money is truly 2nd to none IMHO.

LGM

bkdc

The 10x42 Viper HD is on black Friday blowout for 299 at Cabela’s. And I don’t know if Stryka has the generous warranty.

chill6x6

So if I were going to buy myself a nice binocular...I'd probably take advantage of the Leica Black Friday Sale. Some that really stand out are the 10X50 and 12X50 UVHD+ for $1999. 8X32 UVHD+ is $1699 and all the 42mm UVHD+ 7/8/10X are all $1799. I noticed both Europtic and Sportoptics are doing this.

eitanaltman

The 10x42 Viper HD is on black Friday blowout for 299 at Cabela’s. And I don’t know if Stryka has the generous warranty.
That’s also a really good deal although it appears to be the prior generation version. Smaller FOV than the 2nd gen although some claim the 1st gen was slightly better optically.

Styrka claims to have a comparable warranty and they even let you send in your optic once/year for cleaning (Vortex of course has been around a lot longer and are almost certainly more likely to still be around in 10 years): https://styrkastrong.com/styrka-warranty/

I ordered a pair of the Styrka to try out, seems they got very positive reviews here on BF from Steve C and Chuck (among others) and that’s when they were at full price ($600ish).

Last edited:

eitanaltman

eitan, are you pretty confident that this glass is a Viper HD knockoff? If so, that is a good buy.
Well I think technically the Styrka came before the Viper HD 2nd gen model, but it’s clear to me these are “clones” from the same Chinese plant. The 8x42 and 10x42 have identical specs for FOV and eye relief and practically identical physical dimensions. And take a look at the physical similarities...
1606503377181.jpeg
1606503391554.jpeg

CharleyBird

While browsing today, I noticed that Swoptics have a used Swaro 12x50 SV listed as mint boxed for £1399. I've resisted phoning to enquire so thought I'd share.
Also resisted ordering a Manfrotto 161mk2B which Wex have at £351.

eitanaltman

Thanks eitan. I believe you're right on target. My wife wants a set of 8x, so these may work great for her.
Yeah for $300 seems like a great deal even if they aren’t any better than the Viper HD. Like the Monarch 7 they are very compact and light weight for a 42mm and have a wide FOV. Would make a great backup / car bin for someone with better glass or a perfect primary birding binocular for a low budget and/or casual birder.

cycleguy

If not already mentioned, it appears the usual internet optics dealers have new Leica UVHD Plus models for a few hundred less than their normal retail - a little more, a little less, depending on the model.

CG

Users who are viewing this thread