• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Binocular bargains (9 Viewers)

Binocollector

Germany
When I tried my BDII 6.5x32 in a store near Munich/Bavaria they basically had almost every model they make. So I guess they do sell or the seller wouldn't stock that many of them. He had the "Genesis" models, the pocket models (some still "Made in Japan" btw), the SV models (not too bad either but mostly plastic), the whole BDII line-up. I basically tried most of them and decided on the 6.5x32. The 8x32 is also impressive however. Even larger AFoV at 70.4° while the 6.5x has 65°.

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
They are awesome bins. Just because you haven't seen them in your impressively massive experience means nothing. Your post is useless. Really.
Actually I have tried them...the Genesis.... But I was more talking about how I haven't seen any in the field..... :)

Binocollector

Germany
Actually I have tried them...the Genesis.... But I was more talking about how I haven't seen any in the field..... :)
Just a guess but I think you might see more of them when birding in Japan.
Japanese companies nowadays are notoriously bad in marketing their stuff outside of Japan. I just need to look at the serial number of my Fujinon HC to comfirm that as it is number 505 that was made (if the numbers simply count up).
Often some models aren't even offered outside the country.
I never see anyone using binos but there are no popular birding spots around here -- I think birding is just not a thing here, even though there are 2 bird watching towers nearby. The only optical instrument I saw being used there was a camera with a huge lense. But I have not much experience in birding anyway, just a fan of binos in general.
It seems they went out of fashion. When I was a kid, everybody had "a good bino" in the family. My Dad had a Japanese Tasco 10x50. my one grandad a Steiner 10x50E, my other grandpa a Hensoldt 6x24, one of my aunts uses an old Hensoldt Dialyt 8x56 to this day -- awesome bino. One of my friends has a Swaro 10x42, I think it is an EL. Another friend has a Steiner 8x30. Those are the only binos I saw people using lately.
Currently I couldn't even find a store apart from hunting stores where one might buy a bino locally. 20 years ago opticians carried Zeiss and Swaro, but not anymore. Not even a measly Nikon Action EX in any store.

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
So what country are you in? ....

Yes, I imagine that in Japan the Kowa would be more prevalent as it should. Here in the states, well.... Kowa is just a harder sell as you are correct in that there are never any on display. I know that BH and Adorama might have them, and on display, but the marketing for Kowa isn't strong.

I looked at the Genesis, and I looked at one of their scopes when I was purchasing one. Good products no doubt.... but I suppose good marketing builds connection, builds a comfort zone to 'want to buy'.... and now that I look back on my Kowa experiences; neither or those were evident within.

When I was a kid....my dad had several WW11 bins from various places he picked them up from. That is where I got my love for bins.

Binocollector

Germany
So what country are you in? ....
Germany, near Bamberg. I might have to join some birding group to actually see some binos in action. Actually not a bad idea ... I always take my binos when going for a walk in the nearby forests and hills (I'm at the "wine country" border where the first vineyards are and there is some really nice scenery all around but I mainly "bird" through the window as there is a large field straight out the window and the river nearby in about 300m distance, on the other side of the river are some lakes that are bird sanctuaries where no boats or swimming or any other activity is allowed.
Always lots of birds all about. Mainly geese and crows but we have a pair of magpies living in a nearby tree and a pair of Eurasian jays and one pair of wild pigeons regularly visiting the garden.
I guess my neighbours think I'm a peeping tom when I walk through the garden with my binos :ROFLMAO: .
I mainly started to get interested in them for astronomy however. But the constant clouds for weeks on end spoil the fun. It wasn't that bad last winter and I had some lovely views at Orion and the other "winter objects" in the night sky.

Josh Exmoor

The Regal M2 80mm was my main spotting scope for years. It's pretty sharp, although I ended up replacing it with a last-version Vortex Razor which was sharper and was only a little bit more expensive. The best thing about the Regal is that it takes standard astro eyepieces, so you can put a cheap wide-angle on it and get a huge FOV, which I really miss when seawatching.

has530

The Regal M2 80mm was my main spotting scope for years. It's pretty sharp, although I ended up replacing it with a last-version Vortex Razor which was sharper and was only a little bit more expensive. The best thing about the Regal is that it takes standard astro eyepieces, so you can put a cheap wide-angle on it and get a huge FOV, which I really miss when seawatching.
That is a huge plus, my birding scope is a comically small and cheap Orion Grandview ED 65mm scope with a comically large pentax XL eyepiece and with that eyepiece it puts up a far superior wide field image than anything else I could get at that cost.

BKoh

Singapore
That is a huge plus, my birding scope is a comically small and cheap Orion Grandview ED 65mm scope with a comically large pentax XL eyepiece and with that eyepiece it puts up a far superior wide field image than anything else I could get at that cost.
The Orion Grandview ED can also be bought as the Svbony SV406P. I have the 80mm version and am happy with it.

Paultricounty

United States
There’s a Swift Audubon 8.5x44 804R in real nice shape, and serviced by Suddarth on cloudy nights for $300 asking. I’d be all over those if I didn’t have a half dozen of them.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread