• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Buying Rules of Engagement — an opinion (1 Viewer)

Just for yucks, I opened my Aristotle at random to page 847 and found this bit of wisdom:

That which is other in species is other than something in something, and this must belong to both; e.g. if it is an animal other in species both are animals.

Maybe it reads better in the original Greek, lol.

I remember looking on the website for that Orion. Has anyone actually seen one?

Just for yucks, I opened my Aristotle at random to page 847 and found this bit of wisdom:

That which is other in species is other than something in something, and this must belong to both; e.g. if it is an animal other in species both are animals.

I’m sure it does read better in Greek. But all that is “Greek” to me. That’s why I found the English version of more use to me. I find him very insightful ... at least in small doses. Hey, but what do you know? You sold your SE!

If my kids don't promise to use it with care and respect, I will have it buried with me. That way, on resurrection day, can be a show-off with "bragging rights." :cat:

Bill

Sounds to me like the translator was bored. Maybe look for a different translation to the one you have.
If Aristotle was so obviously BS, I don't think he would have survived the scholastics, those guys were not stupid.

Sounds to me like the translator was bored. Maybe look for a different translation to the one you have.
If Aristotle was so obviously BS, I don't think he would have survived the scholastics, those guys were not stupid.

Hopefully, you meant ... ARE not stupid.8-P:cat:

Bill

I’m sure it does read better in Greek. But all that is “Greek” to me. That’s why I found the English version of more use to me. I find him very insightful ... at least in small doses. Hey, but what do you know? You sold your SE!

If my kids don't promise to use it with care and respect, I will have it buried with me. That way, on resurrection day, can be a show-off with "bragging rights." :cat:

Bill

Bill, it does read better in (ancient) Greek. I studied Greek at school and have an "O" level in Ancient Greek-I got an A grade! I also have a Physics A level, and the practical involved using a grease spot photometer, which probably dates me somewhat. I always preferred Sophlocles to Aristotle anyway. If you are bored, try Googling "Monty Python Bruces' Philosophers Song" for a different view on Aristotle.
Steve

Scholasticism was a philosophical school, and they are definitely in the "were" category.

That translation is by Sir W.D Ross so make of that what you will. I think whoever translates Aristotle, it usually comes out sounding like that. At least Plato could tell a funny story from time to time.

PS: I should cut Aristotle some slack. I can't read Henry James or Jane Austen either. Short attention span maybe. And in grad school I read every dang word Austen wrote, including her letters.

Last edited:
Scholasticism was a philosophical school, and they are definitely in the "were" category.

That translation is by Sir W.D Ross so make of that what you will. I think whoever translates Aristotle, it usually comes out sounding like that. At least Plato could tell a funny story from time to time.

Sorry, I thought he was speaking of all scholars. :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back